Namr of flowers please!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bcrazy

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
nil bees given away all colonies
I have benn given a couple of flower heads but without any name s to go with them. Can you please help ?

Thank you.
Mo

Helleborus x orientalis- Lenten rose

Hi members
I have an extensive collection of books regarding flowers and can not find any thing near resembling either.
The nearest i can get is a Pasquaflower, Pulsatilla vulgaris.

As for all the others you have mentioned i can not even find a resemblence to the flowers i have.
But thank you all anyway.

Mo

Definately hellebore. Sometimes called Christmas rose
Eb

Hi Easy Beesy
Sorry but its definitely not Christmas rose.
What i think a lot of you are not taking into account is the leaf structure.

I do now think its a Hybrid from the Hellebores family.
If you look at the photo's then the Christmas rose is white petals. Lower photo.
Look at the hybrids Photo and the lower left would be as near as i could get.

Mo

Last edited:
Hellebore or I will eat my pants ..... 100 percent

Last edited:
Hellebore
We have lots of them, all different colours and hubby has just bought a "wild plant"
They are easy to propagate by dotting pollen on the open flowers so you get a mish mash of colours. Plant the seeds and they will flower in two years.
The bees absolutely love them.
Here's a red one

Hey enrico

No need to go that far my friend. Everyone has said its Hellebore OK i'll go along with that . But put a NAME to the plant
Mo

Try using the rhs plant finder - gives a range to choose from.
Eb

Everyone has said its Hellebore OK i'll go along with that . But put a NAME to the plant
Mo
Hannah the Hellebore? :)

Seriously, Helleborus is the family. Colloquially there is a white variety called 'Christmas Rose' - Helleborus niger, it flowers at Christmas but the only link with true roses (Rosales) is that it has five petals. Other varieties are known as 'Lenten Rose', five petals and they flower in Lent, i.e. now. There are named varieties as listed by RHS but because they spread by seed most specimens in the garden are unnamed hybrids of several species rather than specific varieties, so generally Helleborus x hybridus

Last edited:
Hi Easy Beesy
Sorry but its definitely not Christmas rose.
What i think a lot of you are not taking into account is the leaf structure.

I do now think its a Hybrid from the Hellebores family.
If you look at the photo's then the Christmas rose is white petals. Lower photo.
Look at the hybrids Photo and the lower left would be as near as i could get.

Mo

Helleborus x orientalis- Lenten rose

Like I said...

Latest posts

Back