Nailing frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the beehive lodge

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
how many of us nail the bottom bars on super/brood frames
or do some nail one end and hindge them to replace foundation.

Been thinking that the bees will propolis them to keep them in place
also how many nail frames with gimp pins,
do you nail each side of side bars and one ontop of top bar i have some with two nails in the top bar and when i scrape them i always catch them so anouying let me know
Not sure of the best method :beatdeadhorse5::banghead:

I follow Dave Cushman's advice to the letter!

www . dave-cushman . net /bee/frameassy.html

nail mine up into the sidebars,they pop out easy enough with a bit of thumb pressure.No need for hinging

I also use standard practice and nail from the bottom up into the side bars. I did however need a drawn frame the other day and decided to use a Smiths 14x12 brood frame I had removed to cut out and re-wax. I thought I'd try and change just the top bar for a national with a little careful de-nailing. It was then I discovered that it had survived three years of use without any nails holding the top bar to the side bars the only things nailed were the bottom bars and the top bar wedge trapping the wax.

I follow Dave Cushman's advice to the letter!

www . dave-cushman . net /bee/frameassy.html

Us too, although when in a rush at the weekend to get some brood foundation done I nailed the wedge in from the side, as opposed to at an angle as recommended. A lot quicker.

Not sure how easy it is going to be to remove it and reuse the frame, but tbh as I only have a few hives, replacing brood foundation every few years it is often easier to just buy new frames.

I always nail in the wedges from the side - it's much less of a fiddle (especially if you have numb fingertips) they come out petty easily (had to re-do some this week)
Gimp pins through the side bars into the top bar (each side) and none through the top bar into the side frames - totally pointless and also if you only do that and not nail through the sides, if the bees have made a good job of fixing the frames in place, you try and remoe them and you are left with only the top bar in your hadn and the comb still in the brood box!

I nailed the wedge in from the side, as opposed to at an angle as recommended. A lot quicker.

Yep, with the correct length frame nails no need to nail on an angle, it's messy, slow and achieves nothing above nailing 'on the square'

Also folding up the wires on the bottom is a waste of effort too.

Sliding the foundation into position often means more handling. Curl it in takes a fraction of the time and ensures no bent corners. If its not going to fit because of the expansion due to temperature or being supplied oversize then the extent of the trimming is immediately obvious.

If you hit nails vertically, nails will become rusty and they will loosen. Gap between boxes will disapear.

Jep.horizontal nailing.

If you hit nails vertically, nails will become rusty and they will loosen. Gap between boxes will disapear.

Jep.horizontal nailing.

talking frames not boxes :)

i do pin bottom bars, but that's cos as a newbee I followed instructions, thinking about it - do they need nailing?

4 pins for side bars, 2 each, straight through flat and angled on pointy bits

then 3 on wedge

11 in total

I use rampin, find it easier and I tend to curl foundation in, then place final end bar.

And weirdly I enjoy making them, quite relaxing, kitchen to myself, radio 4, glass of wine (or maybe tea!) :cool: do i sound old lol

If you werent so far away I'd bring you mine to do.

Wine does make it more bearable, but with variable results towards the end... actually the same could be said of many things ;)

As Dave Cushman but made a little jig to hold the top bar and side bars square, nail and flip and nail, job done no more wonky frames, I suppose if I had a few thousand to nail as commercial beekeepers do I would use a nail gun or employ someone to do them for you

:)
i do pin bottom bars, but that's cos as a newbee I followed instructions, thinking about it - do they need nailing?

4 pins for side bars, 2 each, straight through flat and angled on pointy bits

then 3 on wedge

11 in total

I use rampin, find it easier and I tend to curl foundation in, then place final end bar.
Sounds the perfect method - i curl the foundation in as well - and i find making frames strangely relaxing and therapeutic put I prefer a small hammer to the rampin

Now I have electrict nailers. Very good. It is amazing how fast 1000 pins will be consumed.

Unfortunately Lidl quality does not work here. They will be jammed all the time.

Last edited:
I find the more wine I drink when making frames the less it hurts when I hit my fingers with the damn hammer lol

I find the more wine I drink when making frames the less it hurts when I hit my fingers with the damn hammer lol

Yea hurts less but you do it more often:eek:

Best not to invest in a nail gun then ;) as the speed will result in pain me thinks and frame and finger attached :eek:

Latest posts

Back