My what a Christmas present

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mineralblue

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Merry Christmas! Having wanted to keep bees for a few years now, my girlfriend has gone and bought me one for Christmas! The best present ever. I'll be sure to visiting regularly in the coming months to ask for advice.
I can't wait to get started.

Welcome and a happy Christmas. Did the hive come with bees or is that learning curve still to come! Look forward to hearing more from you
E

:welcome: And a Happy Christmas.

Enjoy the bumpy learning curve next year, but be careful, bees are very addictive.

No bees as yet. I have what I would describe as a beginners kit. The hive is a wbc from Honeybell in Cornwall. Completely new to this. I have literature and more importantly an experienced beekeeping friend at work.
What's the thing with petrol mowers by the way?
Browsing this forum waiting for Turkey I notice it mentioned?

Welcome ... you will need another hive by your birthday ... and a few bees to get you started for Easter - it's a slippery slope. Plenty of time now to get reading before it really starts to get interesting !

Merry Christmas! Having wanted to keep bees for a few years now, my girlfriend has gone and bought me one for Christmas! The best present ever. I'll be sure to visiting regularly in the coming months to ask for advice.
I can't wait to get started.

Welcome, the good (or bad) news - the slippery slope starts here - is that you need a second hive available for swarm control operations.
And that to be 'sustainable' (not requiring the emergency support of another friendly beekeeper when you screw up), you need a minimum of two colonies, plus spares for swarm control …

I'd strongly suggest that you look into joining a local Beekeeping Association. And seeing whether they might have any spaces on their winter beginners' courses.
Getting a structured overview, before being confronted by details, makes it easier to build a body of knowledge.
And associations can be a source of help, loan kit, hired (expensive) equipment (like an extractor), as well as providing insurance, etc as standard membership benefits.
Its all very well having ONE friend that's into beekeeping, but much better for you both if you can develop a few more! :)

Thanks for the welcomes and advice thus far. Appreciated. Read the forum a lot today.

No bees as yet. I have what I would describe as a beginners kit. The hive is a wbc from Honeybell in Cornwall. Completely new to this. I have literature and more importantly an experienced beekeeping friend at work.

Incidentally, the WBC, though generally considered very decorative, isn't most beekeepers' favourite. There are other reasons, but one to bear in mind is that the brood chamber is on the small side. (And that can make swarming a problem sooner.)
However, the good news is that it takes standard National frames (just one fewer in the brood box than the National) - so you can have ordinary (cheaper, etc) National bits (like a nucleus hive) operating alongside the WBC.
It has a few other quirks, but you'll likely soon get used to them! Nothing mission-critical, just things to consider once in operation.

You'll find various forum discussions re suits, etc. You'll need one before getting bees (associations generally have some to loan visitors/students) but (apart from an anti-varroa treatment) hives aren't going to be opened up for another ten weeks or so … when the season starts - so no urgent requirement.

However, coming up very soon now is the Annual Sale season - a great time for getting what you need, but horribly confusing if you don't know what you do (as opposed to might) need. Probably a good idea to have a word with that beekeeper pal, asap.

Welcome and good luck, it's a great hobby.

I'd buy a 2nd hive in the sales, because you run out of kit quickly when they get up to speed in the summer.

run while you still can !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

Good advice. I only wanted two hives, have ten and god knows next year. The garage is full of bee kit and not much else...

:icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

Good advice. I only wanted two hives, have ten and god knows next year. The garage is full of bee kit and not much else...

Ha ha, yes, once they get under your skin they can take over, my bee fever hit over twenty years ago and I'm not over it yet!

Welcome and good luck, it's a great hobby.

I'd buy a 2nd hive in the sales, because you run out of kit quickly when they get up to speed in the summer.

That only covers one extra colony. If 2015 is like 2014 I'd go for at least 4 to accommodate incoming swarms and other increase. :)

perfectly good box for keeping bees.

Enjoy your present and look forward to hearing from you in the future.

To your question about petrol mowers bees dont like vibrations

Latest posts

Back