My hive is nearly 100% full of stores

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
one of my hive is nearly 100% full of stores and not lot of space for the queen to lay eggs.
After the apiguard I fed the bees with ambrosia, about 8 day ago it look Ok about 1 /12 frame of brood & I saw the queen but i did not look for eggs.
We have lot of ivy around here they are also bringing at lot of pollen at the moment.
I will Look again for the queen tomorrow just in case.
I done the same to my other 2 hives and they look fine.

any suggestion please

Have you got any spare frames of comb you could swap over with a couple frames of the stores .

You may be able to put in some fresh foundation. As they have so much stores would think they would draw it. Im sure some one will be along soon who will be able to offer you more advice than I can. sounds though you may have other options as well. you may be able to swap some brood frames about

Ambrosia versus Sugar

Last year I gave 23 lbs of sugar in syrup to each of my hives. This year I am using Ambrosia. Can anyone advise me as the eqivalent quantity of Ambrosia syrup to say 20lbs of sugar?

The simple way to feed a hive is to feed it until either they are full or the weather cools.

PH

Last year I gave 23 lbs of sugar in syrup to each of my hives. This year I am using Ambrosia. Can anyone advise me as the eqivalent quantity of Ambrosia syrup to say 20lbs of sugar?

About 40 litres

Don't think so.

22 lb is 10 kg

10kg sugar is contained in about 15 kg Ambrosia. (Ambrosia about 67% (2/3) sugars by weight)

Syrup is denser than water, so the volume is going to be LESS than that of 15kg water (15 litres) ... so something like 10 litres. Not 40 ... ! :)

Oh yes......sorry.......don't know how I worked it out like that.......durrrrrrrrrr

Latest posts

Back