My first inspection alone :)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Soz for the second post, but drawing on all your years of experience, from my description, would you say our bees are in a good position for getting through winter? If varroa and disease don't rear their ugly heads, and, of course, treatment goes as it should? I think I have posted enough info on these bees in the past lol, I have posted everything but their first flight times and how many grams of pollen each bee brings home :p

I have been reading again, I shouldn't do that when I am happy with their position as I always start to get doubts again. I will feel much better when I have some experience and can judge for myself....until then, I will be calling on you all for reassurance :)

Kaz i can tell from reading about your antics you take great joy and care in looking after your bee's
From all accounts from what ive read (reading your joy and excitement) and from what little hands on experience i have your bee's will have every chance to make it through,

But nature will always take its cause, i believe you have done everything to give them the best start and im sure you will continue,
But end of the day the severity of this coming winter will be proof of the pudding, if they survive you can pay yourself on your back, sit back and smile at yours and their hard work :)

Ive every confidence :)

Kaz i can tell from reading about your antics you take great joy and care in looking after your bee's
From all accounts from what ive read (reading your joy and excitement) and from what little hands on experience i have your bee's will have every chance to make it through,

But nature will always take its cause, i believe you have done everything to give them the best start and im sure you will continue,
But end of the day the severity of this coming winter will be proof of the pudding, if they survive you can pay yourself on your back, sit back and smile at yours and their hard work :)

Ive every confidence :)

Thank you :p that's all I needed to hear lol. I do love them, I can't believe that before the 1st July I was so frightened of bees. The people who had to almost push me down the path to the hive I visited that day were all at the recent half inspection and couldn't believe the difference. I was almost in tears that day, but really wanted to do it after hearing all about them in the intro we did. BUT, we still haven't been stung ( that's the royal we btw ), lets see how enthusiastic I am after that lol

Apart from anything Karen - if your mentor can't get them through the winter...I'll give up!!

I'm getting a bit nervous about treating now. I remember him saying how much they dislike it, and after only just becoming comfortable around them, I don't want any change in temperament just yet. I suppose I'd better get used to it hadn't I. I just want nice bees forever now lol. Also, I don't want stinging lol :p I intend to be the first beekeeper ever never to be stung. Lets see how long that lasts :D

I'm getting a bit nervous about treating now. I remember him saying how much they dislike it, and after only just becoming comfortable around them, I don't want any change in temperament just yet. I suppose I'd better get used to it hadn't I. I just want nice bees forever now lol. Also, I don't want stinging lol :p I intend to be the first beekeeper ever never to be stung. Lets see how long that lasts :D

Next year I'm opting for OMF and icing sugar, anyone do it this way?

I wish this was all we had to do :( but from what I've read, a lot of the mites are hidden ( not sure whether they grip onto bees or hide in open cells ) because before treating there is minimal drop, yet after treating there can be hundreds :( Where do they hide? If dusting only gets rid of a fraction of the mite, where are they? I know they dive into mainly drone brood as they are capping it, but where do they hide before that? How come these more gentle treatments don't get rid of more? :bigear:

Last edited:
Where do they hide? If dusting only gets rid of a fraction of the mite, where are they? I know they dive into mainly drone brood as they are capping it, but where do they hide before that? How come these more gentle treatments don't get rid of more? :bigear:

The mites spend most of their life in a capped cell. If the queen is laying 2,000 eggs a day in summer, that means every day 2,000 bees are emerging. Say there are a thousand mites in a hive and 90 % of those are in cells, that only leaves a maximum of 100 you can get with icing sugar. The next day another 2,000 bees emerge, some of them with mites, and you're back where you were. You have to provide an effective treatment every day for a full generation of bees- hence the 28 days of apiguard.

Next year I'm opting for OMF and icing sugar, anyone do it this way?

If you choose to do this I would suggest avoiding 'domestic' icing sugar - pulverise some standard granulated in a coffee grinder

Icing sugar contains anti-caking agents, granted in small quantities. Ferrocyanides and aluminium silicate complexes can be used, along with more innocous thing like corn starch. The former sound rather worse than they are and of course all of this is safe for human consumption at the levels used and may have no impact on a colony but not point burdening the girls with avoidable additives to deal with.

For the method to be effective (rather than a holding tactic until a proper treatment can take place) you'd have to deploy with low brood numbers, just like oxalic. As a holding tactic when oxalic is not appropriate it may have a place but in place of oxalic? I guess that depends on your beekeeping 'values'

Thanks Rosti.

I was planning on using oxalic in the new year as normal.

I intended to use the icing sugar at each inpection throughout the season in the hope of preventing any build up of the nasties.

Latest posts

Back