My bee project

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and this one appears to have survived without the use of any matchsticks...

NO I could definitely see matchsticks through that hole in the LHS at the bottom ... next to the bit of wet rot just above the 6" crack. It's probably the matchsticks inserted in 1996 that kept them going ...

and this one appears to have survived without the use of any matchsticks...

Well it shows a few bees flying in and out.

If it was in good shape and alive I would have been happy if it had a few bees on orientation flights going on. Hope it is ok and it will be interesting to save but for me a closer look before organising any equipment.

Good luck

It just goes to show ... bees will survive just about anywhere ! Incredible state - and we worry about ventilation, condensation and damp ???

But how much of a crop has this colony provided over the last five years?

We beeks (mostly) try and do a little better than keeping our colonies going!

3 to 5 years is about as much survival as one might expect without varroa treatment. I'd be surprised if this was a strong colony if it is the founding (as opposed to a second or third incoming) colony.

I'd be expecting them to be just hanging on, rather than thriving.
But anyway, I do look forward to hearing and seeing more about this 'project'.

I would put a box of foundation over the decaying hive to allow bees to migrate .
Have a plan B in standby as you may have to do a shook swarm .I anticipate the frames to be in as bad a condition as the reast!
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well yeogi75 came over and we had alook and put a nuc that I built on top of the super to try and get the bees to move up.

64e12d6cc2c5ff3ebf775e665024db2f_zps9317a5e6.jpg

8f49cfc77ff6328772c498c6393fd83c_zps4f0e962e.jpg

dcdf6d263358f7bc5de8da603f677a06_zps49b8b459.jpg

3e4512514a1d910489244100416dd6ed_zps5eb0d2f9.jpg

Looking good. I hope it all goes according to plan, and look forward to your updates.

Well I've had another look at them today and they are increasing in quantity but have not moved into the nuc yet. I've cat a larger hole in the nuc base and will have another look later in the week.

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fe9UNPxR59w&feature=plcp[/ame]

now I've see more bees only had a hand full when seen them last time, if they don't go up into the nuc, best bet for me to bring along full brood box and foundation floor and stand, lift off super where the most bees are and put onto brood box and Waite for the bees to draw out down below , still will wait till weekend see what Paul says the nuc is doing , to remove the comb is that sticky could end up having to bath her majesty

... I've cut a larger hole in the nuc base and will have another look later in the week.
Hey Gyp,
Nice woodwork and a neat arrangement, well done!
Question:
What size did the first hole in the nuc base have and how large is it now?
(My experience is that the transfer up into the box works best with a 100% opening!)
What is the content of the box - drawn out comb/foundation/mixture ?

... bring along full brood box and foundation floor and stand, lift off super where the most bees are and put onto brood box and waite for the bees to draw out down below...
Don't believe him, his wife says he's always wrong....

Regards
Reiner

(Dig The Slowness?)

First hole was cut for a porter escape, new hole not quite 100% but close. We will see what happens.

First hole was cut for a porter escape, new hole not quite 100% but close. We will see what happens.

Porter escape hole a bit small for what you are attemting IMHO as the new box would be seen as 'outside ' to the bees - a hole as big as the whole of the nuc (without a floor) would be ideal.

Porter escape hole a bit small for what you are attemting IMHO as the new box would be seen as 'outside ' to the bees - a hole as big as the whole of the nuc (without a floor) would be ideal.

:iagree:

You'd put 'wet' (extracted) supers above a small hole to get them cleaned (robbed) out as they would appear to the bees to be 'outside' the hive.

And have you got any drawn comb to put in the nuc?

At some point, you'll probably be wanting to slip a qx between nuc and old hive.
Is that all ready?

New hive built today, already for action stations. Built it out of old external ply I found in the shed so its a bit rough but I have to say I'm quite pleased for my first hive.

3c9b9bde9477bbadde5aab4c2885610c_zpsa0054b56.jpg

:iagree:

You'd put 'wet' (extracted) supers above a small hole to get them cleaned (robbed) out as they would appear to the bees to be 'outside' the hive.

And have you got any drawn comb to put in the nuc?

At some point, you'll probably be wanting to slip a qx between nuc and old hive.
Is that all ready?

Yeah, the hole needs to be big enough for the hive pheromones to be above the nuc floor, and therefore also seen as 'inside'.

If any of the proper frames are ok you could, as well as increasing the size of the hole, move up a couple of the frames (containing brood) temporarily.

Latest posts

Back