multiple problems :(

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msillence

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
my main problem I think is I'm queen less and none of the queen cells look good. there are quite a few can I just leave them all and let them fight it out or should I break some down? I'd prefer to avoid swarming.

my secondary problem is lots of dead bees outside the hive i also see a few deformed wing virus. there is plenty of stores in the hive. so it's not starvation.
i guess the deformed wings are due to veroa I was hoping to do an artificial swarm and treat, now q- I can't do that. I'm not sure the veroa would be responsible for all the dead bees?

Queen cells capped or uncapped?
Results of varroa monitoring? ( why guess when easily measured?). You are right, Varroa is a vector for DWV

With just the one colony and a swarm has departed?

I might just split them into a couple of nuc boxes and hope to get at least one mated queen.

If poor cells, the resultant queen(s) could easily be superceded as soon as brooding restarts, a further setback to any aspirations of a honey crop. It/they may be superceded later in the year and result in a non-mated virgin if very late - who knows? Two colonies is so much more preferable to a single.

If there is a high varroa infestation, remedial action is required ASAP. The alternative is likely no bees at all. When brood has emerged is the best time to kill the mites.

Have you checked the mite drop recently?

Last edited:
Queen cells capped or uncapped?
Results of varroa monitoring? ( why guess when easily measured?). You are right, Varroa is a vector for DWV

queen cells capped

veroa monitoring seemed low last time mostly I just see the casings fall like they moult as they grow. 4 per day. however I culled some drone brood (super in the brood box) and had 80% with veroa.

With just the one colony and a swarm has departed?

I might just split them into a couple of nuc boxes and hope to get at least one mated queen.

it's a double brood so shall I just split it and hope it stays strong enough?

it looked good until the recent high mortality

Can you borrow a couple of frames with eggs and young brood to do test frames with?

PH

You get the use of two on the basis of the same favour returned or a return of two frames of brood.

Pretty simple I thought?

PH

For goodness sake.

Of course you go to your best mate and take a few frames from his AFB riddled box of rubbish like you would......................

I make the fatal mistake of thinking common sense actually is present.

PH

We usually exchange healthy frame of brood with frame and foundation and when they're in a position to help with frame of brood in future would do same if need arises.

For goodness sake.

Of course you go to your best mate and take a few frames from his AFB riddled box of rubbish like you would......................

I make the fatal mistake of thinking common sense actually is present.

PH

Peace and love, PH, peace and love.

D

Can you borrow a couple of frames with eggs

One frame might actually do the job, but seems as though there are either swarm or emergency cells there already?

But what about problems if disease, infestation etc?

As PH, really.

Disease? The alternative could be a lost colony? I suppose a bought-in queen (or two) would suffice as a far more expensive option.

Infestation? @80% in drone brood, it seems to be already present!

Fair enough, RAB.

Just questioning the idea of 'borrowing', of 2 way traffic.

If a colony is on its last legs, then bringing in a frame is reasonable.
And I imagine many kindly beeks would donate a frame.

But is return traffic wise?

'Cos if there's no problem, why are we phaffing about cleaning hive tools and wearing different clothing for different apiaries?

Dusty.

'Cos if there's no problem, why are we phaffing about cleaning hive tools and wearing different clothing for different apiaries?

I think that confirms the rumours of your cross-dressing at the local BKA meetings, Dusty

I think that confirms the rumours of your cross-dressing at the local BKA meetings, Dusty
not worthy

As I mentioned in a thread yesterday this situation over gloves and hygiene has me puzzled.

I am a returner to bee keeping from pre varroa and I don''t remember all this stress being laid on the dangers of cross infection. I can understand the argument but there seems to be flaws.

The different gloves for different apiaries/hives but if they are really vicious I wear my old leather ones attitude. If the leather gloves are unsuitable for day to day use because of infection risk surely they are unsuitable at any time.

The transfer of frames between hives is surely a very high risk but is standard practice for certain situations.

It all just doesn't seem logical to me.

But is return traffic wise?

If needs be, but we always try to limit any infection spreading possibilities. Nobody can (100%) avoid a disease pathogen arriving at their apiary. We can, however, reduce the risk of spreading it to other colonies/apiaries. As PH indicated earlier, common sense just needs to be resurrected.

I regularly swap frames around the apiary, but not if I suspected there was anything nasty being spread around. The donating colony has a 'good going over' for signs of brood trouble before it becomes a donor.

I could get caught out, but I just try to minimise the risk as far as possible. Colonies are not cheap any more; even 'self-expanded' colonies in the apiary all need to produce wax and need new frames/foundation, may have needed feeding and medicating. Not something I relish, to burn to ashes.

RAB

Latest posts

Back