Moving them on

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwiuk927

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
Morning,

This is my first year of Queen rasing I currently have about 6 queens laying worker brood within the apidea.

What is the best way for me to move them into a nuc?

I also want to carry on using the apidea for some more queens which I am waiting for them to emerge. Do I merge the current bees with a hive and then refresh the bees within the apiea. Or can I carry on using the same bees? Will they keep the capped brood warm until they emegre?

Or is it best to cut the combe out and place it some where in the hive so the brood can emerge with in the hive. And let the new bees draw out new combe?

Thanks

There are various ways of working with Apideas. You can use them to get successive queens mated - I have some that have their third queen in. Put your mated queen into a queen cage and use that to introduce her into a nuc or full colony that is queenless. I have variously given mating nucs a queen cell or an emerged queen after moving on the mated queen. Unless the number of bees in the apidea is severely depleted, there is no need to refill. The brood in the mating nuc is generally considered expendable once the queen is successfully mated and has been moved into a full hive.

Latest posts

Back