Moving Hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
any difference to what?
...they still go back to where they think they ought to be......most of the time, it seems. As ever, bees will do their thing as inconsitantly as possible.

...and to save anyone else a bit of time writing a considered and reasonable response:

UTTER BOLLOCKS!

You've lost me now Leigh. Are you saying that bees will find their hive if you move it more than 3 feet, or that they wont?

dishmop - we can discuss this on the step! I meant they won't find their hive.....normally.

you have bright bees - hang onto them and get together with the varroa-tidy bees, and we've got it sorted!

you have bright bees - hang onto them and get together with the varroa-tidy bees, and we've got it sorted!
just because you have had an experience and your bees couldnt find their way home doesnt mean to say it is compulsary for all bees to get lost. If you dont believe what I say in relation to my experiences, well, please yourself, thats up to you..

Um.....dishmop.....you are arguing with yourself....I believe you completely and didn't say anything to indicate otherwise, and merely congratulated you on having bees with more sense than mine. The beauty of these forums....countless opportunities for things to be taken the wrong way! I BELIEVE YOU!!!!

Um.....dishmop.....you are arguing with yourself....I believe you completely and didn't say anything to indicate otherwise, and merely congratulated you on having bees with more sense than mine. The beauty of these forums....countless opportunities for things to be taken the wrong way! I BELIEVE YOU!!!!

I sincerley apologise for misinterpreting what you wrote as being sarcastic,

you aint getting a bloody kiss tho..

Move them in the depths of winter, you can move them as little or as much as you wish with no adverse effects when they emerge in the spring.

That advice is a little disingenuous.

Yes you can move them in winter with pretty much disregard for the 3 mile rule but the bees WILL know they have been moved and WILL need a sheet of ply or some such over the entrance so they "bump their heads" on leaving and then realise they are not where they were.

PH

Thanks

Well, errr, thanks for clearing that one up then - Wow :party:

There is nothing disingenous about my comment. I find the use of that word rather annoying and wonder if the author understands the correct meaning of the word rather than the liberal banding around it receives today.

Perhaps another word should be used. For reference the definition of disingenous is....

adj.
1.Not straightforward or candid; insincere or calculating: "an ambitious, disingenuous, philistine, and hypocritical operator, who ... exemplified ... the most disagreeable traits of his time" (David Cannadine).
2.Pretending to be unaware or unsophisticated; faux-naïf.
3.Usage Problem. Unaware or uninformed; naive.

It is bee inspector advice, mentor advice and in the books!

phew, I'm exhausted. I'm glad thats over.:nature-smiley-013:

Latest posts

Back