Moving hives 20m

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finman

Personally i have learned a lot from you but at times i think there are more diplomatic ways you could put forward your vast knowledge. But at times i laugh so much it hurts so on second thoughts keep on being rude to us blockheads lol.

Stephen

Finman
But at times i laugh so much it hurts
Stephen

:iagree:

Some of Finman's comments are hilarious! I also think some things get lost in translation. I work with a number of Fins/Swedes/Danes and sometimes get the same misunderstanding. Plus they are grumpy buggers when it's dark most of the time ;)

:iagree:

Some of Finman's comments are hilarious! I also think some things get lost in translation. I work with a number of Fins/Swedes/Danes and sometimes get the same misunderstanding. Plus they are grumpy buggers when it's dark most of the time ;)

when I have visited in ENGLAND and they start to poke me to see what I am,
I learned to give back with same measure.

If I am polite, 90% of this forum's discussions are translation problems or misundrstandig.
Yeah.. My fault.

Hilarious Clinton? Who is that?

I did this to one of my hives last year. Moved it 15 yards, kept the orientation the same (facing south-east) and put an old Christmas tree growing in a pot right in front of the hive to force the colony to reorientate. I reduced the entrance to one small hole, but I didn't block it right up. There were a very few bees back at the old site for a couple of days, but that was all. Job done, hive moved, bees working, and 2 months later honey taken.

I probably haven't learned much in three years of beeking, but I have learned that there are usually several different ways of doing something with bees, and that each of these ways will have lots of people telling you not to do them. I've adopted as my motto "suck it and see".

(I also believe that many beekeepers can start an argument in a sealed room with no-one else there!)

I only know one person who could do that!:)

That isn't anything like what the OP is wanting to do.

He's just wanting to move his hives 20 metres.

Perhaps you misunderstood.

But, I do know I'm not always right! :biggrinjester:

how can I misunderstand so simple thing?
Can I?

i admit that it was a polite expression

The land owner wants hive to be moved? Perhaps the farmed did not understand that it takes one month to move.

If you move the hive every day 1 metre, it takes one month to move. What idea is in that?

Don't teach duck to swim. Move it. Just do it.
I move my hives alone even if they weigh100 kg. Do you know why they are so heavy? They have honey inside

Last edited:
when I have visited in ENGLAND and they start to poke me to see what I am,
I learned to give back with same measure.

Translates as: You take the piss out of me, I'll take the piss out of you - in a friendly way of course.

If I am polite, 90% of this forum's discussions are translation problems or misundrstandig.
Yeah.. My fault.

Translates as: I really try not to be rude but some of you really don't have a clue as to what you're talking about - I've been keeping bees for 50 years and I know...

Hilarious Clinton? Who is that?

Translates as: I have no idea what "hilarious" means, so I Googled it and came up with some obscure references to American politicians.

Hey Finman - if you ever offer a week of beekeeping experience like Chris B did recently then let me know, I'll be on a plane like a shot! Always fancied seeing the Aurora too...

Nick

Translates as: You take the piss out of me, I'll take the piss out of you - in a friendly way of course.

! Always fancied seeing the Aurora too...[/B]

Nick

Our Aurora hospital nurses scitzofrenic persons. I do not know if they have any free rooms just now?

Don't be so desparate. There is a hostell quite near that place. It in in Olympic Stadion Tower.

Last edited:
It was my understanding that a bee only has a 3 day memory. So if the bees are held in for 3 days due to the weather, or you block the entrance, they will need to reorientate anyway.

If thats the case, you could block the entrance, move to the new location, and when you open in 3 days none of them will go back to the old location.

Not ideal usually during the season, but if the forecast is cold and wet for 3 days, as it is here in London (again), then you arent losing much by stopping the few who do venture out during that time for cleansing flights.

One question I have re: the other option of moving a little each day - do they readily find the new entrance if you lower the height of the hive by a couple of feet?

Latest posts

Back