moving hive and nuc help

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fullframe45

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 --5.
I have had a brood and half hive for about eight weeks and being a very newbie i missed the tell tale signs and they superceeded. I was not sure what to expect So when i checked the hive a couple days back i was very happy to see eggs and lava and they seem to be doing well,so it looks like i have possibly got away with it.
I also have a small colony in a nuke and according to the rearing calendar in the next week she should be on her mating flight s.
however the problem is that the landowner is wishing me to vacate the land i have my hives situated on. We are on very good terms and friends but i can see a move coming very soon.
I think i have another location where i can situate the bees but am worried about the distance and just how to go about doing a move.
The proposed new site is about two miles away as the crow/bee flies and i am not sure if this is far enough from the present location.
Also i have not got a clue how to go about the move and when would be best time and what is the procedure .
Also is it safe to move the nuc in the present situation.

Close the hives up late evening, not on a really hot night, strap them up and move them when you want. Two miles should be ok as long as it isn't flat land between the two sites. Try and turn the hive entrances in a different direction to their present orientation.
If they need to be moved then they need to be moved!
One brood box and a super are easy to move with two people. Wear a suit in case you drop it. If it is hot spray some water up through the omf before you put them in the car. Have your suit handy in the car in Case you crash! I would wait until the nuc is queen right before moving if possible. Doing it in two hits would also mean any returning bees would have somewhere to go!
Good luck!
E

Last edited:
And suffocate the lot....

You need foam rubber to close the entrance.

Straps to secure the boxes together. One will do for a nuc and the hive will probably be better with two at right angles to each other. One back to the front and the other side to side.

Now I have no idea if you have ventilated floors or not but I seriously suggest you make travelling screens. Very simple to make. A square of sheet material for the hive and a rectangle for the nuc. Cut a big hole in the middle of both and cover with mesh stapled down. Morning of the move remove the crown boards and put the screens on then the roofs. The evening of the move block the entrance with the foam and secure the straps over the screen. The damage is done with the shutting in and nowhere for the heat to go but you have screens on and so no damage done. Off you go with them.

If you are worried about some returning leave them shut in for a couple of nights, and if its still hot dribble some water into the screen. Let out after the two nights and they will orientate to the new spot.

PH

With open mesh floors I rarely bother with travel screens and I move quite a few hives. Moving hives to the heather in this hot weather the abelo poly crown boards with the fall out inserts have meant I could create a travel screen without removing crown board. Very versatile bit of kit.

If you have solid floors travels screens are a must.
Oh and 2 miles is more than sufficient I regularly move hives between 2 apiary sites only 1/2 mile apart with no problems.

Moving a Queen minus nuc tomorrow with a open mesh floor..it will be closed up when it is dark and moved to a shaded spot..tomorrow it will be places at a angle on a piece of 3 by 2 in the back of the car to allow under current..it will have a white wet towel placed over it but not to prevent circulation of the open mesh floor.. i will then bomb up the A1 for 1hr 30mins with the back windows half open which basically causes a wind tunnel..i have done this a fare few times now with no issues..

Thanks for all the comments ,all taken onboard being a complete newbie i want to try and get it right first time.I will be moving a maismore poly hive and paynes nuc bothe with mesh floors and i have travel screen made up for the nuc so to be extra cautious ill make one for the hive.
I will have a few days to sort out another location and i have to check one out tomorrow ,but it is flat land and fields similar to where im located now.If i get permission that is.
I will not move the nuc until i can hopefully see signs of a queen /eggs etc.
So would i be better to move the queen active hive first then if all goes well move the nuc later ? Also the evening i am closing up the hive do i wait till dark or just watch to see when they are settled then close up and move . Thanks

Beefriendly?

I used to think that way too. Then I had a bit of a lesson.

In life, you either learn from others errors or you make them yourself to prove you can?

Bloody silly in my view but each to their own.

For what it's worth it will be the best hives that cook. That I can guarantee.

PH

Only hive I ever cooked was one I forgot to remove varroa monitoring board from. Most of my journeys are an hour, big colonies. Usually moved in cool time of day...around 5 AM.
I don't take chances....hives moved this morning had abelo crown board inserts out and vented. It was 18C at 5 am.

Sorry dont wish to drag this on but,if i shut up the hive at night is it possible to move it then the same time ,As we only seem to have a few short hours of darkness this time of year what difference would waiting till morning make and if not why wait for a few hours before moving. And once it is in new location how long do i leave before i open up the entrance. Thanks

Straps to secure the boxes together. One will do for a nuc and the hive will probably be better with two at right angles to each other. One back to the front and the other side to side.

Straps at right angles are never very secure - they easily slip and crank around
Two straps parallel to each other, far more secure and unlikely to move

Last edited:
Sorry dont wish to drag this on but,if i shut up the hive at night is it possible to move it then the same time ,As we only seem to have a few short hours of darkness this time of year what difference would waiting till morning make and if not why wait for a few hours before moving. And once it is in new location how long do i leave before i open up the entrance. Thanks

Yes close them in the dark and move them..open them up first light or when ever you can..it does not really matter aslong as they are not baked in the Sun..

Thanks millet ,Im off to check a location now(in the rain) a good friend of mine has a ideal spot about half a mile away from where im moving from but i would like to find a site a bit further away if thats possible.Also does it matter if there is another apiary withing a few hundred yards or is that a no no .Thanks

It doesn't matter at all. You may get their swarms in your apiary so have a bait box out!
And when I said move them when you want. I should have been more specific for which I apologise. I meant then or the following morning. Sorry.
E

If you go about shutting up a hive you will disturb the bees . Make a day time trip and prepare hive with travel screens and straps done and in place. Simply return when dark and close the front door. You could then move straight away or in the morning and daylight. Just depends how close they are and if you can do the extra trip, it’s certainly easier in daylight as am sure many can testify. If you want to make a morning visit and close up and move be prepared for an very early start.

Last edited:
Straps moving?

I have no idea what straps you are using but I can assure you that Spansets do not move.

PH

Not sure why everyone locks in at dark. I shut in in the morning just before moving (early morning), move remove foam and back before breakfast.

Mine are usually 2 parallel to each other. Direction depends very much on floor type. Payne and Abelo floors are best with straps at the side as both have landing boards at front. My wooden floors are better with straps at the front as if on sides they crush or distort the bottom runners. I've learnt the hard way that this can start the release of bees....not good, or destroy floor.

Latest posts

Back