Moving Cells

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxylad

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
I put my first grafts in yesterday. I plan to check and reverse the boxes to make it a finisher colony.
I also had to split 6 of my production hives yesterday.
I have taken the queen away and placed them into nucs with a frame of honey and the brood frame she was on plus two frames shaken in.
My cell builder is in an apiary around a 2 miles away. at what stage can I move the cells from the cell builder to the production hives to change my stock. Will the production colony's accept a cell, in a cell protector?
Three of the colony's were from caught swarms last year and I would like to change these for more productive queens.

Any experts can shed light on this? Was hoping to check on the grafts today

Just checked the grafts, bit disappointed with 6 out or 25. But if reversed the boxes, so it is now It’s a finisher. I would like to try a second round of grafts. As I really need more.

If I have a queenless colony in the same apiary as a sealed queencell, I will move it as soon as it is sealed if convenient for me. If, for example, the first take-up of grafts is poor, I might move them out as soon as they are sealed before grafting some more into the same hive. I would be wary about moving them a long distance until they are nearly ready to open.

First grafts can be dissapointing. I have used one colony for the purpose of raising a few queen this year and the take up was 20% then 30% then 100%. After the first two attempts I was wondering if my technique was to blame as the success rate was not good. That's bees for you!

I had real trouble with the first Chinese grafting tool. Wasted a lot of cells. Wasn’t until I switched tools that it came together. Will probably do the second grafts on Saturday

Latest posts

Back