Moving bees a short distance

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwiftOtter

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi

I am a new beekeeper with a colony in another location which is doing well but I am also planning to get a hive in my garden. I have been offered a colony by another beekeeper but he only lives a short distance away. He told me that it would be fine to transfer the bees in the hive if we did it in the middle of winter. I'm not sure if this is correct, I thought the bees would end up returning to their original location.

cheers
Chris

During a prolonged very cold spell it will be okay.

During a prolonged very cold spell it will be okay.

:iagree: But leave nuc on old site just incase. Well that's what I would do because knowing my luck that's what would happen.

Good morning from Greece to all of you,
I've worked with my colonies (splits, etc.) always within my apiary,
without losing any population so far simply by closing the entrance door for 3 consecutive days.
You will only find 50 to 100 (old) bees dead after you release them which is absolutely normal.
The bees are "restarting" their geo-location program from the scratch and won't go back to the old beehive.
In your case (since it's cold there already) it will be much easier and safer for the bees.

Cheers
George

Good morning to Greece from here. Welcome to the forum, George.

I've worked with my colonies (splits, etc.) always within my apiary,
without losing any population so far

I never have a problem, when doing splits, without closing the hives for three days. Flying bees will return to their old site, so one simply needs to allow for that with the number of bees in the split - and not feed the split until they have departed, to avoid robbing. Closing a hive for three days is a lot of potential foraging lost.

Original question...- if weather shows really cold forecast it is safe to move a complete hive to new site.
I am resorting own home apiary and tidying... resiting... 9 hives, and will wait till Nov when I think weather will be colder, espec if we get the New York follow on which tends to happen.

Splits.. yes, no need to block in and if there seems to be an imbalance in numbers with one hive rebuilding fast with returning bees, then swop the hive sites again and the returning bees will boost the smaller colony- but that is really a Spring job. Too late now..

Thanks everyone I'll consider it a bit more carefully, interesting that it is possible.
Cheers
Chris

interesting that it is possible.

In beekeeping, most things are possible - just need some special precautioins at times and to know the real limitations, like choosing the best time and not an impossible one.

Closing a hive for three days is a lot of potential foraging lost.

...this is a minor side-effect which is equalized within a week.
In the meantime, the brood is hatched and you end up having 2 to 3 times more bees foraging since the new ones will take care inside.
Did 6 splits beginning of Sept. (1 closed brood + 2 honey/pollen) and they've reached the 8th frame as we speak.
I forgot to mention that I'm inserting Buckfast fertilized queens (from a local breeder).

It's just another approach !
:sifone::sifone::sifone:

By the way this isn't a split it is a swarm that was collected by my bee buddy.

By the way this is not a split it is a swarm that was collected by my bee buddy.

It isn't here! After three good days this year there may have beeen little foraging for the next week!

However you look at it, they are using up stores and cannot ever use those three lost days. No splits this season but the last lot was in 2011 when I split a colony eight ways. No extra feed and no lost foraging time.

geobees

Welcome to the forum!

In no way being critical but it'll be interesting to see how Buckfast strain manages with the Greek climate!

Last edited:
geobees

Welcome to the forum!

In no way being critical but it'll be interesting to see how Buckfast strain manages with the Greek climate!

Thanx!
Exceptional -so far- I would say.
Buckfast is an established race for years in Greece.

Here's the breeder's info: batsis.gr

It isn't here! After three good days this year there may have beeen little foraging for the next week!

However you look at it, they are using up stores and cannot ever use those three lost days. No splits this season but the last lot was in 2011 when I split a colony eight ways. No extra feed and no lost foraging time.

I see your point now Oliver.
It seems logical !

Latest posts

Back