Moving a swarm in a Paynes poly nuc - overheating?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blacky50

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have collected a swarm in a Paynes poly nuc today and the remaining bees have gone to it tonight so the queen is in there.

My choices are
1. To move it to my apiary a few miles away tomorrow morning or
2. During tomorrow hive it in a National box with a travelling screen on top and move it the next day, probably with an excluder underneath.

I ask because a friend moved a swarm last year in a poly nuc and they all died. I wonder if the poly nuc box means they overheat in transit.

My swarm is on the 6 frames and in the space for the feed so is a decent size.

Having the product available implies others have also experienced the problem.

As I can't get this for tomorrow I think transferring them to a normal brood box with a travel screen would be best for the swarm's chances of survival

Thanks

Having the product available implies others have also experienced the problem.
How far are they being moved?

Overheating can be a problem if bees are enclosed in any type of hive for long periods of time.

I've moved bees during hot days in poly nucs without any problems, but haven't needed to take them further than about 30 miles. I stand the box on a couple of bearers so the omf is clear of the floor, to allow some air circulation, and keep the car windows open.

Any further than that and I'd put a travel screen or tape some net curtain across the top of the box the night before, so the lid can be taken off during the journey.

Best move them either early in the morning or in the evening, when it will be cooler than midday.

Remember to wear your bee suit when you have bees in the car. Veil down.

When moving bees ensure they have lots of space I.e. If the nucleus looks full transport in a hive. And use a transport screens as mentioned above. The bees natural reactions to overheating work against them when confined. So make so they are relatively unconfined and let their fanning efforts have a chance

I always take a spray gun with water when moving bees and spray the entrances/mesh at regular intervals on long journeys.. helps cooling.

Do not forget to remove the thin plastic over frame cover on the paynesPollynuc.
Although it has been said a large grist of bees would be better moved into a 11 frame box, rather than being cramped on 6 as in the P pollynuc!

Mytten da

First question might be drawn comb or foundation? Move into a suitable box is the obvious reply.

Another question is 'how was it 'collected'? A beek of 4 years should be able to gauge the size of a swarm and box it accordingly. I would not box any prime swarm in a 5 frame deep box, for instance.

Latest posts

Back