Moving a hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clv101

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
nine 14x12
I need to move a beehive this week. Would have liked to do it sooner but it wasn't possible. The new site is pretty much exactly 3 miles from the old.

Temperatures for the next few days are forecast to be a high of around 7-9C mid afternoon and a low of -1C first thing in the morning. I'm thinking to pick up the hive around 6:30pm by which time there shouldn't be any flying bees and should give enough time to get to the new site before sunset.

I have a couple of ratchet straps and gaffer tape to secure the hive during transit.

Are there any special considerations I might not have thought of?

Yep, the hive's on an OMF. :)

once in their new position unstrap them and give them a few moments peace without banging and shaking them, let them settle before removing the tape, also I use foam or a block and then tape it after removing the gaffer once and finding loads of bees and wings stuck to the back of it.

Pete D

It is helpful to use some gaffer tape to hold the boxes aligned during handling (box/floor joint most worthwhile). Shouldn't be needed, but good extra insurance.
I have put in the entrance block and then taped over it to retain it.

Don't rush to release them. With an OMF and this weather you could easily leave them shut in for 24 hours if that fitted with your schedule. But even half an hour to settle should avoid them rushing out into the cold ...

Drive gently, avoid potholes and either strap or wedge the hive in the vehicle so it can't move or fall over if some fool should force you to brake hard.

It is helpful to use some gaffer tape to hold the boxes aligned during handling (box/floor joint most worthwhile). Shouldn't be needed, but good extra insurance.
I have put in the entrance block and then taped over it to retain it.

Don't rush to release them. With an OMF and this weather you could easily leave them shut in for 24 hours if that fitted with your schedule. But even half an hour to settle should avoid them rushing out into the cold ...

Drive gently, avoid potholes and either strap or wedge the hive in the vehicle so it can't move or fall over if some fool should force you to brake hard.

And make sure the frames in the box run in the same direction as the car is moving so that bees and Q don't get sqashed.

No, it looks as though you've got it covered....I'd just reiterate above advice to put the hive in the car so the frames are aligned 'fore and aft' to avoid swaying (squashing)

also I use foam or a block and then tape it

A piece of wood same size as an entrance block with a strip of 6mm ply overlapping at the sides and ends avoids having to worry about bees escaping after taping in position, or screwing, or whatever.

I have a couple knocking around as otherwise, when I need one it is always somewhere else.

I wouldn't move them in the early evening at all for fear that they would not recluster quickly enough after the journey and in time for the cold night. Much preferable in my view to move them in the mid morning, leaving them in for the rest of the day and following night if you wish although it is not vital.
Moving them late in the day runs a needless risk.
Good luck.

No, it looks as though you've got it covered....I'd just reiterate above advice to put the hive in the car so the frames are aligned 'fore and aft' to avoid swaying (squashing)

Fore and aft might prevent swaying when braking, but what about going round corners?::driving:

Thanks for comments, move went very smoothly last night. :)

Fore and aft might prevent swaying when braking, but what about going round corners?::driving:

The 'g' forces in cornering in normal road usage are far lower than those experienced in braking (rapid acceleration in a normal road vehicle also results in lower g than heavy braking)

Latest posts

Back