moving 5frame to full box

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric knockalt

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
8-10
Evening all

Going to move a congested 5 frame nuc in the morning to a full brood box any good advice on best ways ,should i fill up with foundation or add a number at a time and use dummy board

Regards Eric .

When I did mine last year i moved them in and filled the gaps with new foundation. I then fed them 2 litres of 1-1.

Eric
I'd suggest 2 frames of foundation on the South/East side of the bb, then the nuc frames, then another frame of foundation, then a dummy board.

Is this five frames to twelve?

Which would you prefer - a warm small room or a cold cavern? Not too difficult to go for fewer and a dummy, insulation behind. Snow forecast for Monday.

Two frames of foundation is enough to start with.

Ok so , its 2n1 of the foundation and a dummy then watch n fill as needed, thanks for your suggestions .

with -3˚ forecast at night I might be tempted to put the tray in for the next week as well as making sure there is good top insulation and an insulated dummy inside.

The tray under the omf that you use to monitor varroa and to close the hive when treating with thymol

TBH (Do you know that I thought that meant top bar hive for a long time?) if snow is forecast and such low temperatures I would not move them into a hive unless they were really congested, i.e. there were so many bees that at night they aren't all able to go inside and they are hanging out front even in this cool windy weather. They will be set back by being moved out of their cozy nuc if thre is snow coming. not worth doing unless really chocabloc.

Eric, go ahead as your post #6 You'll be fine....

ignore some earlier posts e.g "with -3˚ forecast at night

Erica is spot on - I doubt if County Wicklow ever has a hard frost, even in early January!

If his Nuc is already packed by end of April he's at risk of them swarming

Makes more sense now you have given a reason.

I didnt say to leave it I just asked for a reason to ignore the -3.

Latest posts

Back