moving 5frame to full box

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Craig, I'd think even our Finnish friend would 'move on' a congested Nuc!

read my last post

I did not comment on when/if they should be moved I just asked what was your reasoning behind the take no notice of the temperature -3 as you didnt give any reason why. No underhand comments from just wanted to ask your reason.

Eric, I am in Roundwood and we had -2 the other night and 7 Degrees yesterday, all my bees are on feeders waiting for the Spring only venturing out to void! I have Acrylic Crownboards and can see Bees in Polyhives busy across all frames but those in timber clustering tightly. How sure are you that your Nuc us busting at the seams? I haven't carried out a full inspection now for 4 weeks as its just been too cold. My closest bee neighbour has lost one a hive (of 5) through starvation, "they had plenty of stores 3 weeks ago". Unless you are loading them with feed I'd have left them.
Another week of this forecast!

Last edited:
Going to move a congested 5 frame nuc in the morning

As usual, we have some jumping the gun.

No mention of why/how they are congested, in the OP. Removing one frame of stores and replacing with foundation could have been ther simplest answer. Adding three frames of foundation is excessive - two, at most, and possibly only one in the present weather conditions.

Very little is irrelevant at the present time. Everything needs to be taken into account.

Minus three at night is unseasonable (yes, the odd frost is expected, but not usually worse than minus one) and the cold night temperatures are following days with little foraging opportunity.

Those living in London may well benefit from the warmer night temperatures within the city, but those out in the real world are not advised to blindly follow 'London practice' without considering their own set of conditions. Beekeepers need to think, not just follow the loudest bleat.

Joctcl

Yes feeding hives too but they seem to be happy in large brood box added 2 frames of foundation to hive with insulated matts at the back ,taking feed down so topping up as required,like you waiting for the weather lets hope the milder dry days are on they,re way

Latest posts

Back