move to hive or not ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

village girl

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
hello i have a nuc, We picked up bees on 19th of August, queen not seen but eggs laid within first week, they are on 5 frames of 14 x 12 national, 4 frames had eggs 3 also had lavie and seald brood, 4 had pollen stores and 5 caped honey and necter, she has a lovely laying pattern with a good covering of brood ect with a nice honey arch above, thear is no supers on and i have fed since they arived they are lively but not agresive, :confused: hear is the question should i move them to a hive befor winter or leave them were they are ? not worthy

Last edited:
the above still doesnt add up, you say they are in a 5 frame nuc but say

4 frames had eggs 3 also had lavie and seald brood, 4 had pollen stores and 5 caped honey and necter

the above still doesnt add up, you say they are in a 5 frame nuc but say

4 frames had eggs 3 also had lavie and seald brood, 4 had pollen stores and 5 caped honey and necter

s what i ment was moste frames contaid all or moste of the above list not a whole 4 frames of eggs a whole 3 frames of lavie and seald brood or whole frame of caped honey ect sorry if i dident explane that well think a arch of honey then necter then polen then brood and or eggs / lavie i hope that is better explaned:)

If there is brood/eggs on less than 5 frames then at this time of the year they may be better off left in the nuc box. You will need to monitor the area of brood and the store levels. The rate of laying "should" decrease from now on so I wouldnt expect a big increase in brood.

Village girl Im no expert but I got my nuc on the 10 of august and it still had two frames to be fully drawn out, it was a late swarm and one of the kind beekeepers at my ass. Gave it to me :) they are now on 8 frames and still drawing comb so I think there is still more time in the season for your bees to build up in a full box especially if we get a good september. Fingers crossed.

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
What we do here with Dadant rushettes, (5 or 6 frame) is use a super of the same size if the colony is falling between two stools for size and strength at this time of year. This allows enough room to expand a bit going into winter without using dummy boards.

It's an option that I find works well.

Chris

Is it a five frame wooden nuc?

A six frame 14x12 poly nuc might work overwinter, Room for them to expand and store some more. And better insulated.

Or maybe it would make sense to combine them with another colony? -- that would of course depend on what was happening in your other colonies ...

removed all my posts that's out of order

thank you for your replys, they are in a wooden 5 frame 12 x14 nuc :)

Last edited:
14x12 you need to state it properly or you may get jumped on or posts deleted or banned. i like this one ready for it..... I may have said to much all ready.

removed all my posts that's out of order

not just yours i notice another poast was removed and sorry to who ever poasted it but i cant remember what advice you gave me but thank you for taking time to try and advise me not worthy, Sorry i also forgot your name :angelsad2:

Just as a visual, 6 frame Dadant ruchette with knocked up super to overwinter, nice and cosy and less chance of getting separated from the stores. (No QX)

Ruchette-with-super.jpg

Chris

Latest posts

Back