mouseguard on, entrance block off?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosie gill

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all
Me again, newby with with very simple questions!
I have put the mouseguard on today and took out the entrance block. should I have done that, I have an OMF. I've read lots of the previous threads about it but not quite sure if I've done the right thing.
Thanks

I don't think it makes any difference. The OMF ensures plenty of ventilation so it doesn't matter wether the mouseguard is in front of a reducing entrance block or in front of a wide open entrance. FWIW, I left my entrance blocks in - so as not to lose them over the winter as much as anything!

I don't think it makes any difference. The OMF ensures plenty of ventilation so it doesn't matter wether the mouseguard is in front of a reducing entrance block or in front of a wide open entrance. FWIW, I left my entrance blocks in - so as not to lose them over the winter as much as anything!

That's about it really. Some will keep entrance block and some will not. Some will turn it up the other way and some will not.
I go with mouse guard in, block out.
Cazza

That's about it really. Some will keep entrance block and some will not. Some will turn it up the other way and some will not.
I go with mouse guard in, block out.
Cazza

:iagree: With the entrance block out it is easy to unpin the mouseguard and quickly sweep with a cane to keep the entrance clear.

Just my angle............... never used them, never found a mouse and entrance blocks in

Just my angle............... never used them, never found a mouse and entrance blocks in

My mice seem to prefer the greenhouse, it's nice and warm, dry, plenty of nooks and crannies to hide in and it's next to the hens run so there's usually a bit of food left behind when the hens have gone to bed ... one cheeky little beggar just sat and looked at me when I went out to shut the hens down on Sunday - no fear.

Still, better in the greenhouse than finding their way into the house or the hive !! Can't bring myself to kill them - they are just field mice.

I left the block in last year, but noticed the bees were struggling to get in and out on sunny days, so this year I'll leave it out and will just put the mouse guard on.

i use the mouseguard that have the small six inch castellated entrances

The practice of removing the block and having a full width mouthguard was original used to increase airflow and stop condensation when combined with solid floor and tilting hive forward

OMF have increase ventalation considerable so in my view is only the ease of clearing bees that a block out improves

Having said that if a colony does not clear the floor then that normally means insuffient bees on mortuary duty so i then alway chech on first opening for possible nosema or DVW other problem

Last edited:
With the entrance block out it is easy to unpin the mouseguard and quickly sweep with a cane to keep the entrance clear.

Good thinking MJ

disagree with MM: if a colony does not clear the floor then that normally means insuffient bees

If the entrance is just the narrow slot I can see how it could become blocked with detritus.

Latest posts

Back