Mouse guards

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
When should mouseguards be removed? Have all the mice hibernated now or as we've had the odd warm day might they still be awake and a threat to the hive? I'm thinking that maybe if I should have removed it it would be easier for the bees to dump dead bees outside. Or does it stay in place for another couple of months?

I wait till the end of March , however I have full width guards .
If you run a restricted entrance with a mouse guard in front of it there can be a bit of congestion out front on warmer days .

If you run a restricted entrance with a mouse guard in front of it there can be a bit of congestion out front on warmer days .

Ok I'll leave it be. I have one wooden hive with a restricted entrance but also a poly hive with the 4 hole set up. The congestion is worse on that but there is no way to avoid that unless you open up the entrance completely.

Ok I'll leave it be. I have one wooden hive with a restricted entrance but also a poly hive with the 4 hole set up. The congestion is worse on that but there is no way to avoid that unless you open up the entrance completely.

Yes, I think these are useless and have replaced mine with a wooden one. The slot is bee space height so doesn't need a mouse guard

Local Hedgehogs were still active at Christmas and they do hibernate.

Mice on allotment have been too busy eating my beetroot to be interested in risking being stung for honey! + now the shed is no longer close to the hives mice seem to prefer the underside of the shed.

Hives on/in roof have the guards ready nearby but haven't bothered while it's still warm up there.

If I do put them on, don't bother removing until the spring build.

Last edited:
I removed guards early March last year with the result of 2 mice getting in the colony was weak but the mice finished them off. Will be in no rush this year.
Meant to upload a photo with this post but file failed to upload

Last edited:

I cant see the underside where you have routed. Is it
just a simple straight cut front to back?

Manley Mouse Guard

I prefer the kind of guard mentioned in " Honey Farming ".

It is a strip of perforated metal fixed across the entrance leaving a bee space below the bottom edge. The advantages are ..... ventilation, no pollen stripping, and the entrance doesn't get blocked with dead bees.
A tilted floor also gets a dry floor.

Remove when bees become regularly active, leaving on creates a needless obstruction and risks pollen being stripped as bees struggle through.
S

A well designed poly has an 8mm entrance and hence no need for a mouse guard. Beware thought that some have reinvented the wheel and missed this out.

PH

A well designed poly has an 8mm entrance and hence no need for a mouse guard. Beware thought that some have reinvented the wheel and missed this out.

PH

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

Firstly, I think you may find that 8mm height is little more than a "bit of a squeeze" for the little buggers.

And polystyrene is so much stronger than wood that it's impregnable to rodents??????

Last edited:
Back