Modified Snelgrove II, reunite

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonwig

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi

A couple of questions for those who used this a few times. I’m half way though my first, having split last week, separate sites not vertical, and about to move the queen back to the original site.

Hive was on double brood and fairly strong two supers filling and about 16 frames of brood, so double brood still on the new site. Left supers on old site.

I’m not looking to increase, I’m looking to reunite.

My main question is how long do people wait until they reunite after the second manipulation?

Secondly, any tips about reducing the likelihood of them trying to swarm again (I know it’s a possibility) especially as they are fairly prolific?

Thanks in advance.

Simon

Hi

A couple of questions for those who used this a few times. I’m half way though my first, having split last week, separate sites not vertical, and about to move the queen back to the original site.

Hive was on double brood and fairly strong two supers filling and about 16 frames of brood, so double brood still on the new site. Left supers on old site.

I’m not looking to increase, I’m looking to reunite.

My main question is how long do people wait until they reunite after the second manipulation?

Secondly, any tips about reducing the likelihood of them trying to swarm again (I know it’s a possibility) especially as they are fairly prolific?

Thanks in advance.

Simon

I always check that the new queen is laying worker brood which looks good.
You could always nuc the old queen as a back up. Finman will be along to say he unites as soon as virgin emerges

I would wait until the queen was laying well back in the old hive. You will need to fiddle some frames or you will have three brood box's unless I have misunderstood. In theory once an AS is done it should last a season, huh! Some hopes. All you can do is give space. I try and take supers off as they get capped as I feel the bees swarm when they have loads of stores. I also put empty supers above bb under part filled supers.
E

Thanks both

You’re right I could have 3 BB but am assuming the relocated colony will reduce as they wait for the new Q to be produced and laying so should be able to get them in two boxes.

I was wondering about reuniting one BB (minus any Q cells) as soon as the original Q looks good to boost that hive, leaving the relocated smaller hive to raise a new Q and then deciding on which Q to keep. Any thoughts / risks on that as an option?

Simon

Latest posts

Back