Mod 7

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Comb

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
10+
Can anyone out there help me to understand the differences between these 2 syllabus items?

7.1 The principles of selection of breeder queens and drones.

7.8 give an account of the important aspects of behaviour of honeybees, in relation to breeding programmes.

Bucks notes just gives a more detailed list of 7.1 for 7.8.
Yates has a whine that it is already covered and goes on about A.m. capensis and the African Honey Bee, neither of which are likely to be bred in the UK.

I suppose as 7.1 is about queens and drones, 7.8 might be about workers?

Is 7.8 about things like the fact that a queen prefers to mate with a drone to whom she is not closely related, drone congregation areas, how far drones and queens travel to mate, how drones can move into unrelated colonies, how many times the queen goes out to mate, the weather and mating????

Does anyone know whether the behaviour of drones moving between colonies has been studied to the extent that we know whether drones use a number of colonies as B+B before they decide to stay longer in a colony and how far they can travel like this?

Bucks notes just gives a more detailed list of 7.1 for 7.8.
Yates has a whine that it is already covered and goes on about A.m. capensis and the African Honey Bee, neither of which are likely to be bred in the UK.

well at least Yate's view of module7 is consistent in that he rants throughout his Orange Volume 2 about the syllabus

i hope if I pass mod 5 in November to take module 7 in march but just priced up the booklist for module 7 and its about £300

think this module7 question relates to the 7.8 partof the syllabus

Q15 (a) Describe the mating behaviour of honeybees. 8
(b) Briefly comment on the implications that this has for bee breeding. 2

Last edited:
Could be a clearer distinction in the syllabus, but I suspect MM has found what it means in practice. 7.1 is about which colonies you breed from, choosing desirable characterstics and so on. 7.8 is about how bees mate and how beekeepers use that, isolated mating apiaries etc.

There are plenty of other examples of overlap in many of the syllabuses (syllabii?) Module 1 covers the beekeeping year, then seasons separately. A guide to how questions will be set more than actual beekeeping.

Has anyone tried to down a pdf from b.b.k.a shop recently, it tries to send me a pdf by post!!!!!!

Thanks for the replies.
There are some pretty heavy books on genetics on the book list for mod 7 and I am not confident discussing behavioural genetics!

Thanks for the replies.
There are some pretty heavy books on genetics on the book list for mod 7 and I am not confident discussing behavioural genetics!

Same here, but if we both not too embarrssed to ask stupid questions about module 7 on this forum then at least we will be in good company //and some of the replies will be right or at least push us in the right direction

I did Module 7 first. Solo. Baaaad mistake but scraped through.

Got easier since then until now. 5. Sigh....and got a stinking cold today. Wonderful. Not.

I did Module 7 first. Solo. Baaaad mistake but scraped through.

Got easier since then until now. 5. Sigh....and got a stinking cold today. Wonderful. Not.

So you couldn't find Val after the Workshop then!

Keep at it, i have jsut stopped for my seventh black coffee of the day and am Buzzzzing along

Module 7 Books

Looking through the BBKA Module 7 book list,

one of the books is Paige & laidlaw's Queen Reering and Breeding.

The current price on Amazon is £3800 new or £500 used, ok i know the £3800 is just "out of stock listing" but

Does anyone know if there is anything in Laidlaw's Book that is not covered in other books on the module 7 Book list? and dont say ask your association's librarian becasuse i have all my BKA's book in my spare room as it ain't in my BKA's library

Last edited:
You are getting mixed up.
If you look at the book list it says 1997 edition, written by Laidlaw Jr. and Page Jr.
Mine cost £25 from(I think) NBB. Paperback.

I also found David Woodard's book very useful.

Edit. It's gone up to £45!

You are getting mixed up.
If you look at the book list it says 1997 edition, written by Laidlaw Jr. and Page Jr.
Mine cost £25 from(I think) NBB. Paperback.

I also found David Woodard's book very useful.

Edit. It's gone up to £45!

ok found it,bought it, ( but the £3800 amazon link has the same photo as the NBB paperback 1997, hence my confusion )

Thanks

Last edited:
Yes some of these amazon bee book prices are a joke.
No one in their right mind will buy them.

I also think once they are on the BBka book list the prices are inflated.

Also, I have moaned at a few examination committee members about out of print books being on the list and how expensive they are.
"Use your association library" is the standard response.
Our association does not have a library, it does not own even one book.

Last edited:
i'm lucky ,i have lots of our BKA books at home,

currently reading our bka library's' Snelgrove, Queen rearing,and I have just looked at the library return before sheet and realised it is a first addition as the first date stamp is 1946

But for the exam I always buy the newest version of the book as i found with Dade's anatomy and Snodgrass that they had all been updated

Latest posts

Back