Missing them...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeno

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all,
Yes, I am really missing my bees and I just had to go and put my ear to the hives in the dark cold night. It was lovely really soothing. I could smell the honey from my larger hive, so I guess they are having a party. I tried to describe the sound that they make and it's a bit like my boiler, but at a lower level. They are OK arn't they?:blush5:

Would that bee EVES DROPPING ?
we need a descriptive word for this activirty that all beekeeperers covertly enjoy...

BEEVES DROPPING ??

Would that bee EVES DROPPING ?
we need a descriptive word for this activirty that all beekeeperers covertly enjoy...

BEEVES DROPPING ??

Hi there,
Yes, we do, but it is defenitely not eves dropping. It is therapeutic and uplifting at the same time.

Be careful, carry on like that and we will be called hive huggers not beekeepers :eek:

I did dig out the video of my neighbour's last hive inspection and watch that yesterday. As much to see how much stores it had in the brood box as just wanting to see some bees. I wasn't there at the time - so my OH video'd it for me.

I am going to try and video all my inspections next year.

now your getting a bit wierd.

dave W

I like weird. It is cool though each hive appears to have its own individual sound. I have three at mine at present one being Village Girl's that are spending the winter with me but all three have a different pitch and noise level.

There are some lovely and interesting musings about listening to the hive in winter in the book ,AT THE HIVE ENTRANCE by H. Storch. It can be downloaded for free on the web.

I listen to mine too :)
I love the way Storch says, "one can hear a buzz resembling an evening breeze in a forest."

I would'nt admit this anywhere else but i have been sneeking out to have a quick listen. Roll on spring bee-smilliebee-smillie

There are some lovely and interesting musings about listening to the hive in winter in the book ,AT THE HIVE ENTRANCE by H. Storch. It can be downloaded for free on the web.

Thanks Ddogs I have ordered it from the library. One website said forbidden. Copyright, sued someone for that so I have better wait!

Enough of this whimsy!

Get a glazed crown board.....and when they've really shrunk deep down into a mid=winter cluster; take a pic up through the omf from below!

Be careful, carry on like that and we will be called hive huggers not beekeepers :eek:

Would not go that far Redwood. Being in tune with nature she says and dispatched and ate her hens. Hunter gatherer instincts I guess.

Enough of this whimsy!

Much less disturbance to listen for life with a stethoscope. After all, there is nothing one can do if they are dead, apart from closing up the hive on confirmation. I don't disturb my bees unless deemed very necessary, that includes letting in daylight for the whim of the beekeeper.

There are enough ways to keep a check on them - accurate weighing will tell the beek something, removed cappings collected under the OMF will indicate position of the cluster, warmth at the crownboard, lack of frost or snow on un-insulated hives. Sounds from the hive are just one way to check without looking in, even for the glazed crownboard junkies.

It's o.k. for you lot - apart from chilling your bees with a glass crown board, it's a bugger if you'r as deaf as a post (that's what serving the crown does for you!!:D)

Get a life (with two legs)

Latest posts

Back