Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

match 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
6-8
I've just completed my summer varroa count, with good results - a daily mite drop of around 1.5 for the hives in my apiary. I think this is probably due to some of the hives superseding more than once, meaning a break in the brood cycle and no chance for varroa to get a good foothold.

So the question is - what to do now?

I could treat in Autumn with Apistan (no resistance here... yet)
I could treat with Oxalic Acid trickle in the winter
I could do both
I could do nothing

I'm currently leaning towards using oxalic only - I feel that if I don't have a bad infestation then using miticides is overkill. But I'm happy to take any alternative views!

victor meldrew 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I would hold back on the apistan/bayvoral !
My reasoning being, the less you use these products the longer it will take for resistant mites to build up in numbers, this will leave you with a still effective magic bullet should you come across a heavily infested stock ?. For the time being at least:).

John Wilkinson

MJBee 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Number of Hives
16 a mix of Commercial, National, 14 x 12, Dadant and a Warre
Apiguard (thymol) after the supers have been removed followed by oxalic trickle just after New Year works for me. The thymol gets the winter bees into the winter with a minimal varroa load then the oxalic during a broodless period sets the colony up for a good start in the spring.
Mike

jon 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
40-50
I am in a similar situation with a low mite count and I think I will go with oxalic or nothing this year.
I will do some careful mite counting in September before I decide.
there is a lot of speculation about wax contamination causing problems and Apistan is one of the main beekeeper provided sources of this.

Latest posts