mini nuc plans please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the price of them in ploy you would be just as well to buy a proper one and help the bees with the extra warmth which the little units badly need.

PH

Some people might make a mega one containing maybe 10 or a dozen mini nucs, but I think most would probably just buy some Kielers or whatever. Make your own and I would suggest you still get hold of a Kieler top bar as a useful reference point.

the only ones i'd bother making myself would be european mating station style 1 frame boxes or perhaps splitting a conventional super box into 4 chambers. easy enough to knock up some apidea style frames to fit.

I am however going to convert some MD brood boxes into insulated triple stock nuc boxes to fit 14x12 frames.

I am however going to convert some MD brood boxes into insulated triple stock nuc boxes to fit 14x12 frames.

Or perhaps double walled box,divided into four,each section taking four half sized MD brood frames,BA style.

Or perhaps double walled box,divided into four,each section taking four half sized MD brood frames,BA style.

You beat me to it ...

However, I guess BA's mating boxes were based around his 12 frame MD boxes, like his stocks were. I know they were split into four, but I thought that they were plain single-walled boxes.

I would buy a poly box and copy it! I think a bit depends whether you want a small top bar hive or are into making mini frames. I am currently making a load of wooden frames for Lyson 2 in 1 mini hives, which is an interesting hive to copy in wood with stackable brood boes (each either 2x 3 or 1x 6) and a box feeder. Essentially a mini hive but could get to a decent size for overwintering. You could use this template for whatever frame you wanted.

I always liked the idea of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dIgzudB_Q4

but these people never answered emails and not sure they are still going but I like their 'idea' which is obvious 'BA like' in nature...could for the basis of your own plans or help hone your thinking on what to build.

Last edited:
Just a heads up that there is always a problem with these multiple nucs, and that is that one of the four queens seems to be more attractive than the others and "draws" the bees to her.

PH

Just a heads up that there is always a problem with these multiple nucs, and that is that one of the four queens seems to be more attractive than the others and "draws" the bees to her.

PH

Isn't that the first queen we use then for the new nuc?

Latest posts

Back