Micro queen rearing

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rare royal families in honeybees, Apis mellifera....2005
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00114-005-0025-6#page-1

Showed only certain selected lines where chosen to become queen's.
Perhaps grafting is not the way to go? as forcing unwanted queens to be made ;)

Queens not Queen's !

Try a *Hopkins' board.... allow the bees to select which eggs they select to be queens.

Or is it Hopkin's ie the board that Mr Hopkin invented or is it Hopkins' as in the board the Hopkins invented... perhaps it is Hopkins's board......

Snow day... jack knifed lorries blocking all roads and rescue vehicles can not get thru due to abandoned cars........... and house full of teenagers who can not get home.... and they have now found my Hurdy -Gurdy and drum kit!

:calmdown:

Just read through the Vorstman piece and I can agree with most of it apart from deriding the mini nucs.

Many beekeepers have produced thousands of queens per year using them so why was it such a blocker for him I wonder?

I remember marvelling at the line of mini nucs on the boundary wall at the Institute at Marburg dozens of them. The next door neighbour? The local primary school.

See how far you get with that in the UK?

PH

Queens not Queen's !

Try a *Hopkins' board.... allow the bees to select which eggs they select to be queens.-----------------

Now I never knew that method had a name, and my Grandfather taught me that when I was a boy. Isn't it great to keep on learning! thanks for that.

Queens not Queen's !
Grammatically Queen's is correct...unless it's a name like Queens Park etc.
But what type of twat tries to score "points" for pointing out grammatical errors in a bee forum?

Grammatically Queen's is correct...unless it's a name like Queens Park etc.
But what type of twat tries to score "points" for pointing out grammatical errors in a bee forum?
:ot:
Pedants like Beefriendly ... obviously !!

Plural of Queen is Queens... no apostrophe required!

Had grammar rammed down out throats in my East End slum clearance secondary school... Headmaster ( Ex Borstal) said "you may be scruffy and will never come to anything... but at least we will learn you to speak propper English!"

One beekeeper use induced supercedure cells, interesting and accidentally I had few such - by installing empty frame in center of a brood. You can get few, but have to remove them 10th-12 day or they will be destroyed. I simply lift the frame with it in super and add one-two frames of open brood along ( of course without queen)..
It is really interesting and simple but didn't dig in deeper to compare and evaluate right. This year if I manage to reduce colony numbers will have more time to try it again by intention..

If Cheers is the fellow I'm thinking of I met in llangollen a year or two ago he's actually quite dapper :judge:

I don't think "dapper" is the "word" I'd use to describe him....assuming him is a him and not a her as he once was previously on this list.

Queens not Queen's !

Try a *Hopkins' board.... allow the bees to select which eggs they select to be queens.

Or is it Hopkin's ie the board that Mr Hopkin invented or is it Hopkins' as in the board the Hopkins invented... perhaps it is Hopkins's board......

Snow day... jack knifed lorries blocking all roads and rescue vehicles can not get thru due to abandoned cars........... and house full of teenagers who can not get home.... and they have now found my Hurdy -Gurdy and drum kit!

Funny really I’m in st Mawes clear blue sky with sun no snow at all. yesterday it didn’t even really set yet st Austell got it bad

Latest posts

Back