Mice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeT

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Checked the drop after oxalic acid treatment on Sunday, quite a few, but there were a few mouse droppings on the inspection board on one hive. This hive has a super under the brood box and it was very active this afternoon. I have cleaned the board off and installed mouse guards on all 5 hives. I don't think the mouse is still in the hive but I will check for dropping tomorrow. I am reluctant to open the hive up if its not necessary.

Mike

Checked the drop after oxalic acid treatment on Sunday, quite a few, but there were a few mouse droppings on the inspection board on one hive. This hive has a super under the brood box and it was very active this afternoon. I have cleaned the board off and installed mouse guards on all 5 hives. I don't think the mouse is still in the hive but I will check for dropping tomorrow. I am reluctant to open the hive up if its not necessary.

Mike

The piss stink of mouse makes bees nervous, but they have accustomed to it during millions of years.

Droppings on the inspection board doesn't necessarily mean mouse is in hive - they could be feeding on the debris on the board.

I think it was hooper who said he once lifted a brood body from the floor to see a mousers tail hanging down so he put the body back down and gave the side a good cople of kicks and the mouse came rushing out with bees stinging it so I would say if this is the case if your bees are active they should of removed the the mouse by there own means but let us know as I have thort if this is the case for a few years would be interesting to find out

I did give the hive a few harsh knocks and shouted at it!!. I can remember, I think it was ITMA who recommended this method of getting mice out of hives. That reminds me we haven't heard from him for some time.

I will have a look at the inspection board tomorrow and report back.

Mike

Mike

I have one colony on a low solid stand. Because the hive detritus can't fall anywhere and the bees can't get to it I put a sheet of correx on top so that I can take it out now and again to clean it. There are often shrew droppings on it. I presume it's just a good place to shelter. I doubt there's anything in the hive or the correx would be covered in shredded wax.

ITMA was last on the Forum in September '15.

Anyone know why?

Wondered the same myself - I did have his mobile number but It got lost at the last phone change (mind you, I'd be reluctant to call in case it was bad news) Any beeks from the Folkestone area on here? can't be many beekeepers down that way by the name of Dougal! He's very active with the local association there.

I checked the fondant on my hives today. I have lost a very weak one, it was from a swarm that had occupied an empty hive of another member who was moving to France. I moved the hive in November and Bunged a lump of fondant on top.
Checking today the crown board and fondant were covered with mice dropping and the bees were no more.

Checked the mouse problem again this morning no droppings on the inspection board, so all is well.

As regards to ITMA I can see in the Dover branch of the KENT Assoc. newsletter of Sept 2015, Dougal was up for reelection to the committee. Maybe someone from the Dover Branch can confirm he is OK. I certainly miss his posts and helpful comments.

Mike

I had some mouse problem. They drew away entrance reducer. Or birds did. I cut a metall excluder in pieces and I got quite much mouse guards.

Checked the mouse problem again this morning no droppings on the inspection board, so all is well.

As regards to ITMA I can see in the Dover branch of the KENT Assoc. newsletter of Sept 2015, Dougal was up for reelection to the committee. Maybe someone from the Dover Branch can confirm he is OK. I certainly miss his posts and helpful comments.

Mike

And he's mentioned as going to a delegates meeting in the January newsletter

Latest posts

Back