Mice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got the mouse gaurds on. Am still feeding and bees are taking it down but keep having to swish the sugar syrup as it keeps solidifying.

Put some jaguar poison down, it has holes in so you nail it to a piece of wood stopping it being carried off and then cover it. It will certainly kill any rats around.

Went downstairs at 5 am this morning to get a drink, turned on the kitchen light and saw a mouse sitting to the cooker - going to leave the cat in the kitchen tonight

Our apiary is most definitely rural and I would never use poison. The local owl and cat population should be more than adequate.

We do use "one shot" rat bait where appropriate but that is because they kill young chickens and damage in-lambed ewes' lambs on occasion as well as the disease risks.

Apart from getting in the odd hive without a guard or incorrectly stored boxes, what harm do mice do outside (and don't say they eat the crocus bulbs....)?
http://www.robharvey.com/pest-control.html
VM

Try doing some research on mouse damage, cos it sure ain't my imagination.

PH

Rochman, if your cat is anything like our`s it may have brought in, our cat (tuffy) brings us at least one alive most nights, sometimes more bless him!:rolleyes:Chris

The issue for me isn't killing mice or rats as such, it's the use of rodenticides and the knock effect on other species. I often have to deal with the consequences of poisoning and secondary poisoning, mainly with raptors, and it's just so sad. I also think it's incredibly sad that there are bee keepers that have such a lack of understanding of wildlife and the natural world we live in.
The problem isn't always obvious because the species that consume poisoned creatures don't necessarily die, but the substances build up in their livers, life span can be shortened for a Barn owl to two or three years and reproductive capacity severely curtailed.

It shouldn't be beyond our inventiveness to find ways to protect our bees without harming the wider environment.

Chris

:iagree:

I hit 3 rats with a spade- no other creature was damaged.....just cornering the ornery varmints is the tricky bit! And they were in my garage so trespassing.
Rats carry disease and I dare not risk the contamination to my other half as he has low immune system.

I hit 3 rats with a spade- no other creature was damaged.....just cornering the ornery varmints is the tricky bit! And they were in my garage so trespassing.
Rats carry disease and I dare not risk the contamination to my other half as he has low immune system.

i let the grapes on my vine ferment and the Rats love them, im sure they get pissed up on them. Anyhow i sit there at night with a beer or two with my air rifle and blast them off the trellis. Cheep nights entertainment :sifone:

(Sorry Chris, but couldn't resist this one!)

It shouldn't be beyond our inventiveness to find ways to protect our bees without harming the wider environment

Yes, there is something already invented. Cheap, cheerful, easy to use - called a MOUSE GUARD, for all those that have forgotten!

RAB

Well im currently in process of watching a poly hive being turned into bean bag filling and i have placed both bait and traps to get the problem under control. Not watching my hard earned cash being shredded by rodents any longer.

Should be quite safe for owls- as long as you don't hit one on the backswing! :D

Well im currently in process of watching a poly hive being turned into bean bag filling and i have placed both bait and traps to get the problem under control. Not watching my hard earned cash being shredded by rodents any longer.

Perhaps a good idea to transfer them into a wooden hive for the winter, and keep the poly hive for summer use.

use ally sheet to create over hang of 6" on hive stand. Mice have problems hanging upside down on flat metal surfaces.

Hivemaker

I sould if i could but im out of wooden gear at minute. Have just bought a load of poly kit but reluctant to use till i get mouse prob under control.

Derekm

Not a bad idea !!

Latest posts

Back