Mice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
Just a timely reminder that mouse guards need puting on soon.

Further it will pay you to keep a few traps running by the hives to physically reduce numbers.

I habitually put poison under the hives and can say with some certainty that a good 80% is consumed over winter by rodents.

Before the screaming starts along with the alarmist arm waving my bees are not, I repeat not, in an urban situation where pets can be affected.

In urban areas use traps and run them with a mind to other animals.

The only good mouse is a dead un.

PH

What about other species that may either take the poison or feed on poisoned voles and mice? Barn Owls are a well known example that suffer this way but the list is long.

Chris

I am new to Poly Nucs, I got two 6 frame nationals from Paynes. How would they be mouse guarded? I was thinking of getting a redundant punched metal mouse guard, cutting it down, bending to shape then somehow(I have not thought this one through yet) fastening it over the entrance.

I repeat not, in an urban situation where pets can be affected.

I agree with Chris.

Urban or not, the poison should only be accessible to the target pest. It should never be left in an open situation where other, non-target, animals can potentially take it. At this time of the year I might be thinking of hedgehogs per eg.

RAB

"I was thinking of getting a redundant punched metal mouse guard, cutting it down, bending to shape then somehow(I have not thought this one through yet) fastening it over the entrance."

precisely - cut off a piece 10-15cm, bend and tack to hive with drawing pins.

OR get a full one, put a bend towards each end making a staple shape which clamps over roof and under floor!!!

Just a timely reminder that mouse guards need puting on soon.

Further it will pay you to keep a few traps running by the hives to physically reduce numbers.

I habitually put poison under the hives and can say with some certainty that a good 80% is consumed over winter by rodents.

Before the screaming starts along with the alarmist arm waving my bees are not, I repeat not, in an urban situation where pets can be affected.

In urban areas use traps and run them with a mind to other animals.

The only good mouse is a dead un.

PH

I got 3 mice in my house this week, which promted me to put the gaurds on the hives

I live in a rural area. Rodents of some sort pushed up the OMF of my poly hives last winter and did a fair amount of damage . I will be putting poison directly under my hives this year. Where only rodents can get in . They gnawed a lot of the polystyrene underneath the hive as well

That sounds like rats snoop, I have never seen mouse gnawing under my boxes.

PH

What about other species that may either take the poison or feed on poisoned voles and mice? Barn Owls are a well known example that suffer this way but the list is long.

Chris
There is a bait that relies on the rodents inability to metabolise one of the ingredients , cant think of it's name right now but it's harmless to all but rodents. One of the sales men eats a hand full to both shock and illustrate it's properties :)
VM

Our apiary is most definitely rural and I would never use poison. The local owl and cat population should be more than adequate.

We do use "one shot" rat bait where appropriate but that is because they kill young chickens and damage in-lambed ewes' lambs on occasion as well as the disease risks.

Apart from getting in the odd hive without a guard or incorrectly stored boxes, what harm do mice do outside (and don't say they eat the crocus bulbs....)?

My hives are on stands with metal legs which are approx. 18" high and last year did not put on any mouse guards. Do you think I need to?

I had a colony destroyed by mice last winter, after neglecting to fit the mouseguard. Felt extremely guilty about it. So I would strongly recommend mouseguards even if you haven't had a problem before. They're surprisingly good at climbing and jumping too.

What harm do mice do?

Apart from killing bee colonies, they destroy and spoil tons and tons of grain feed, they will destroy the bindings on straw and hay bales, they are a complete menace if they get in side a house.... it goes on and on and on...

At Agri college we saw a film in which they released a breeding pair of mice into a house, and sealed it up.

6 months later it was only fit for the bulldozer. Underestimate mice at your peril.

PH

What harm do mice do?

Apart from killing bee colonies, they destroy and spoil tons and tons of grain feed, they will destroy the bindings on straw and hay bales, they are a complete menace if they get in side a house.... it goes on and on and on...

At Agri college we saw a film in which they released a breeding pair of mice into a house, and sealed it up.

6 months later it was only fit for the bulldozer. Underestimate mice at your peril.

PH
There must be 700,000 empty houses in the Uk , I think I'll start a demolition company (Loads o' Money) :D:D
VM

I once heard a french farmer talking about how he spent a lot of time trying to shoot stray cats in his area because they tore open the rubbish bags.
The next day I heard him talking about the problems he was having with mice.
:rofl:

For what they cost (or ease of making) It is well worthwhile to protect your assets from destruction.

Mouse guards cost 'chicken feed'. Why take the risk.

Not all of mine are adequately protected all of the time, but nearly all are protected nearly all the winter. But for those who would lose 100% with just the one mouse attack, it is sheer folly to take the chance.

Can I say "Tosh"? because in Europe that is just a tad wide of the mark to say the least of it.

I've never had or heard of a bee colony being destroyed by mice provided it had suitable protection.

Bindings these days on bales won't be touched by rodents and can't even be broken by hand.

Grain is stored in mouse proof silos.

.....and finally we have mice and various other creatures living in our house and it's been standing for 260 years so far.

Mind you this is France, we may just be more advanced than the UK.

Chris

Tosh to you too sir,

I have forked tons of straw in to a static baler as the twines were cut by mice.

PH

Back