Metal hive stands

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian wallace

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi guys happy new year to you all
Can anyone tell me where I can buy metal hive stands from

Thanks

I was thinking of getting some fabricated locally after seeing the ones they use at Plumpton agricultural College complete with integrated landing 'boards'...

R2

I had some made up from DEXION a few years back... got stolen with my Bob Marley CD collection.. if you get my drift....

I was thinking the same but I thought getting them made would be very expensive
Surely someone builds them for sale. I'm looking for ones with out landing boards
As the bees don't need them and are just for show. Also it makes it easy for wasps to invade

I would look for a local black smith or light fabbing shop and ask them for a price.

PH

metal hive stands

hello Ian,

I'm making a few metal hive stands this year with my welding students .

happy new year

:sifone:

colin

Hi Colin
I might be interested in some stands depending on design and cost
If you were interested in selling some

Design? The Plumpton stands are just a bit bigger than the base of a national. I'd want wide ones that'll support 2 hives with space to manoeuvre between them...

R2

My local blacksmith wanted £55 for a galvanised double stand.

I make my own from tanalised 3 x 2 (told should last 15 years) and they cost under £10 inc galvanised bolts.

I use these. The legs are made from metal reinforcing rods and are shaped like Rugby posts but with two cross-members. You can stick logs or stones under the lower cross-member to compensate for uneven surfaces - as in the picture. The wooden bits are each made from two bits of 2 * 3 tannelised timber. Drill the lower bit of the Tee all the way through to take the upper bit of the metal legs. Use a drill a bit bigger than the rod so there is a bit of clearance. The two bits of wood are secured together with screws from the bottom - so there are no exposed screw heads on the upper surface.

Size to suit your hives but leave a big enough gap between the hives to allow any varroa trays to be withdrawn. Big advantage is it all comes apart for transport to crops such as OSR but they can also be used for permanent sites.

Can also be used for small nucs - such as one the right. I use some planks laid across the stand as I wanted the entrance to face in the same direction as the hive would be when they were transferred. However, hives can also be fitted facing in any direction.

For the winter the hive straps go round the wooden supports to make them extra secure.

5602287335_93b35defef_z.jpg

Last edited:
seen some plastic legs for in the loft, to allow extra insulation to be put in the roof ,from a big store b and something they are 20 quid for twelve, about a foot high 6 " disk on bottom, turn bracket upside down and two u shaped brackets to go over the joist may be cane be adapted to take 2 - 3 hives

Hi Peter im looking for single stands can you give me a photo of your design of stand please

Thanks

Will do, probably tomorrow, weather permitting.

hi ian i make mine with 3m pallets strip them down put them back together so they ear 460 wide but 3m long can get 3 on there at once does not cost a penny still using them i made 5 years ago and never stained them good as new

Manchester and District Beekeepers Association use single hive metal stands, they appear to be constructed out of angle iron and should be relatively simple to construct for anyone with basic welding skills.

I am considering making some out of scaffolding, either quickfit or tube and clips which are readily available from scrapyards. If the link does not appear google Manc beekeepers
http://www.mdbka.comslideshow.htm/

Yes I saw these recently and asked how much they cost to buy complete. £45 each apparently!

Perhaps they were trying to make a profit out of me?

Stnad pic 1, 2 more to follow when I see how this size looks.

These look good but probably expensive [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Tsa_GoC-ng&feature=related[/ame]

Latest posts

Back