message for beginners

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, i said popoo as in the blackadder hospital episode:

General Melchett:Is this true, Blackadder? Did Captain Darling pooh-pooh you?

Captain Blackadder: Well, perhaps a little.

General Melchett: Well, then, damn it all! What more evidence do you need? The pooh-poohing alone is a court martial offense!

Captain Blackadder: I can assure you, sir, that the pooh-poohing was purely circumstantial.

General Melchett: Well, I hope so, Blackadder. You know, if there's one thing I've learnt from being in the Army, it's never ignore a pooh-pooh. I knew a Major, who got pooh-poohed, made the mistake of ignoring the pooh-pooh. He pooh-poohed it! Fatal error! 'Cos it turned out all along that the soldier who pooh-poohed him had been pooh-poohing a lot of other officers who pooh-poohed their pooh-poohs. In the end, we had to disband the regiment. Morale totally destroyed... by pooh-pooh!

Anyway -what were we talking about?

Dont bother asking advice on the forum
It just give some old hands with nothing better to do with their time the opportunity to take the p*ss
Pathetic

to a small extent you are right.

this forum is full of very useful information and a lot of good people.
i think the p taking seems to happen on threads that have been discussed year after year.
may i suggest a quick use of the search function to save people having ground hog threads.
the only thing that annoys me is when threads go off topic into arguments with people that obviously have personal issues.
nothing is perfect in life but this forum is a lot better than most and very useful and helpful to novice beeks like myself.

i think the p taking seems to happen on threads that have been discussed year after year.
may i suggest a quick use of the search function to save people having ground hog threads.

I think there will always be that on any forum - is there a FAQ? Will people read it (Probably not), will people want to know if the advice has changed since last year, whether there's more anecdotal evidence about things being better a certain way etc etc

If people used the search function then there'd be less new posts and threads. Would that be a good thing?

Although my own requests for advice and help have been well treated I really dislike the curt, abrasive and sometimes downright rude replies some posters have received.

Thats because some of the questions seem to be asked because the person asking doesnt seem to know what their brain is for.

Best question I have seen on here was "what size screws do I use"

Had I answered I would have asked if they knew what end end of the screwdriver to use.

On another forum..."how do I know when my motorhome water tank is full"

Last edited:
Thats because some of the questions seem to be asked because the person asking doesnt seem to know what their brain is for.

Best question I have seen on here was "what size screws do I use"

Had I answered I would have asked if they knew what end end of the screwdriver to use.

That'd be a good one to include in the FAQ.
:)

i've always been tempted to respond to the posts referring to LAVA.

although i suppose a Sicilian beek might be entitled to use that word wrt contents of hive.

Think I'll have to have a wee look at those MX5 sites..... I have a hankering for an MX5-NA or an early Eunos.

I have recommended this forum to a lot of beekeepers. I haven't a clue how many have registered for it but I do know that a fair few "Lurk" and use the search forum. I really value this forum and whilst I sometimes get a bit exasperated with some of the threads and comments, I would guess that a lot of other forumers are in the same boat - hence some of the "abrasive" comments.....

RTFM is always a good reply...

RTFM is always a good reply...

Ahhh... you are OLD like me !

The trouble is these days that people are getting so used to being spoon fed information that they stop using their grey cells to think for themselves. I had a graduate in engineering working for me who had no mental arithmetic ability whatsoever .... if the number came out of his calculator then it was RIGHT ... unfortunately, what comes out is a product of what goes in and if you don't know what to expect how can you be sure ? Gathering information seems to be limited to a google search ... and again, what comes out is often a product of what goes in - and there's a lot of absolute rubbish which has to be weeded out. If you have no basic knowledge to start with what hope have you got ?

Rant over ....

Mind you, I stood outside the door to a petrol station waiting for it to open automatically the other day - only to discover that it was a manual door !!!

The trouble is these days that people are getting so used to being spoon fed information that they stop using their grey cells to think for themselves.
My favourite type of person is one who takes their car to the main dealer for a new tyre,

and the main dealer takes it across the road to Kwick Fit.

i've always been tempted to respond to the posts referring to LAVA.

although i suppose a Sicilian beek might be entitled to use that word wrt contents of hive.

OK: I'll bite before googling; it's kind of invited. So: huh? (To the first sentence; the second is wit of the highest order...)

I feel sorry for Admin. not worthy

He set up the forum as an alternative to the 'forum that should not be named', and just lately it does seem to have been taken over by those that just want to be sarcastic and to take the P. Some things are worthy of a laugh, but it seems to have been taken over beyond the extreme, and many of the 'funny' posts are not the slightest bit humorous.

There are so many posts now that start on a serious, or genuinely requesting advice. I am sure there are a large amount of posters that contribute very little or anything useful, that have a huge posts number.

This forum was responsible for me starting beekeeping and held my hand through my early years. Genuinely useful and helpful people.

Now it seems the majority of posts are tainted with sarcasm, and am finding my forum time is reducing simply because the truly informative people are being drowned by noise.
It is no wonder so many people are being pee'd off.
Admin created this forum on a principle, and would not be half surprised if the same principle forces admin to pull the plug.

The forum has gone from being continuously praised, to now being continuously slated.

This thread has gone for 8 pages in the main forum, instead of being off topic, or in forum feedback as several other similar posts have stayed. Does this mean admin is losing the will?
It will be a very sad day is he decides to pull the plug due to a few selfish posters.

I've just re-read the OP's original thread--- and as far as I can see he's had a load of good answers and no sarcasm, disrespect or any hassle whatsoever.

In addition he has not thanked anyone but started a thread to complain..

Hmm..

"OK: I'll bite before googling; it's kind of invited. So: huh? (To the first sentence"

simples. not noticed the number of posts referring to post-egg, pre-pupal stage brood as LAVA.

It is a great forum - and all thanks to Adam :winner1st:- lots of sound advice...

Just gets a bit frustrating when people are lazy and don't refer to books as well... some beginners need a mentor not a quick answer from here.
But rudeness is no excuse-- if you cannot say something that isn't hurtful- don't reply!
So beginners-( and we never stop learning!) this winter snuggle down with a good book...

Yes, perhaps the first person to see a question repeated ad nauseam should answer "Search Button" and the rest of us should leave the thread alone for a day so.
Might be a useful experiment for a week or so

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back