Mesh floor question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a few mesh floors, much prefer the solid, so never changed over to mesh.

HM, in winter do you have any top ventilation on your solid floor hives? I last used SFHs 15 years ago with the holes in the crown board and roof vents open (no matchsticks tho').
I'm wondering if the teaching has changed.

Top ventilation was never taught up here as far as I know. The photos of the old Glen double wall hives had piles of cloths and blankets on top of the crown boards.

I suspect it was a southern thing mainly.

PH

This is photo I took in the early 1970's of a WBC hive belonging to a man who had died in his late 80's and hadn't opened his hive for quite a while. Note the "insulation" on top. The bees had moved out of the inner boxes into the cavity between them and the lifts. There was both a mouse nest and a bumble bee nest in the boxes.

Attachments

• WBC neglected 2.jpg
    WBC neglected 2.jpg
    471.3 KB · Views: 54
This is photo I took in the early 1970's of a WBC hive belonging to a man who had died in his late 80's and hadn't opened his hive for quite a while. Note the "insulation" on top. The bees had moved out of the inner boxes into the cavity between them and the lifts. There was both a mouse nest and a bumble bee nest in the boxes.

Looks like one of mine!!!!

Grandad would put several potatoe's sacks on top of the calico quilt ( No hard crown board.
I use a 50mm slab on top (OMF with glass quilt/ crownboads... no vents)

Use WBCs as it is what people want to see in their "Country" estates!
Have a few scattered across Cornwall in Garden centers!

Nadelik Lowen

HM, in winter do you have any top ventilation on your solid floor hives?

No... insulated roofs with no holes in them, full sized entrances.

Last edited:
Bit of a loaded question given the obvious decrepit nature of a long abandoned hive....

If Beekeeper had been using WBC correctly there would have been no gap, it would have been filled with insulating material. Not just a few sacks thrown on top.

Bit of a loaded question given the obvious decrepit nature of a long abandoned hive....

If Beekeeper had been using WBC correctly there would have been no gap, it would have been filled with insulating material. Not just a few sacks thrown on top.

Is was stated LONG ABANDONED....... how long I wonder?

Pic taken in 70s... no OMF in those days!

Nadelik Lowen

Last edited:
So they were quite happy without insulation then.

To me it looks as though the colony might have outgrown the boxes, and over-spilled into the double-wall area - so, they probably still benefitted from the insulation.

Photo of WBC brood chamber of the neglected hive in question.

Attachments

• Mouse and bumble nest  in WBC.jpg
    Mouse and bumble nest in WBC.jpg
    390 KB · Views: 35
If anyone has seen a varroa mite crawling on the mite board under the mesh floor, then the mesh floor is working - to a degree at least. And mites migrating to a vasalene perimeter 'fence' would also indicate the mesh floor is working. In addition you can count the mites that fall - unlike with a solid floor.

To answer the original question, If I couldn't get the mite board out, I would leave 'till spring rather than disturb the bees.

Back