Solid floors vs Open mesh floors

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Curious to learn more about your experience of using solid floors.

Ventilation and mite drops through OMFs are pushed heavily in beginner courses and books. I kept the varroa tray in all last winter and had no losses and bees seemed happy & no excessive moisture seen through the glass crownboard (insulation above), though I did see some moisture on the Varroa tray.

I have also noticed less varroa this season vs last (no significant difference in previous autumn and winter treatment). This might be down to the cold spring but I’m sure I’ve read somewhere that there’s a possible link between higher humidity and lower varroa??

If you use solid floors, why do you use them & what differences have you found versus using open mesh floors?

Many Thanks
Elaine

Curious to learn more about your experience of using solid floors.

Ventilation and mite drops through OMFs are pushed heavily in beginner courses and books. I kept the varroa tray in all last winter and had no losses and bees seemed happy & no excessive moisture seen through the glass crownboard (insulation above), though I did see some moisture on the Varroa tray.

I have also noticed less varroa this season vs last (no significant difference in previous autumn and winter treatment). This might be down to the cold spring but I’m sure I’ve read somewhere that there’s a possible link between higher humidity and lower varroa??

If you use solid floors, why do you use them & what differences have you found versus using open mesh floors?

Many Thanks
Elaine
The first open mesh floor I used was a 2” deep affair, the thinking back then was that any varroa falling through the mesh couldn’t climb back in the hive . My bees didn’t object but just soldiered on ! Then it came in vogue to leave completely open save for inspection trays . My bees soldiered on !
I over Winter with inspection trays in . I must say that my inspection trays are substantial and weather , wind proof .
my bees Soldier on !
what I am saying is that I have never been able to discern any advantage either way !

Latest posts

Back