Mesh floor - open or closed?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't unless it's howling a storm and -15˚
My hives are on 18" stands and most of them have a nadired super which keeps the cluster well away from the floor. Mesh prevents wind whistling up anyway.....unless you have the crown board propped open;)

I'm going to leave the wasp proof entrance as it is and pull the inspection tray out 1in under the open mesh floor.. i will monitor for mold and varroa in-between putting a clean inspection tray in regular.. this is my first winter so if i'm wrong this year i will try something different next time around..

All winter I leave an insert around 30mil under the mesh floor and also close up the back of it as stated by DerekM above. Not claiming to be the authority on this subject but this leaves enough air to circulate around without a gale blowing up into the hive. There is no hard and fast rule - what ever works for your bees.

There has been times when I insert the inspection tray to about an inch of being fully closed but usually they are out all winter

I close all my floors up for winter not worth the risk

I have supers underneath brood boxes and close all my OMFs for winter.
Lots of air there.

My TBHs have bottom boards in all year round. They do very badly in summer without boards!

We are very exposed and in a frost pocket and 350 feet above sea level.

@derekm ; lots of condensation on one inspection tray got me thinking. How about an aluminium or stainless "inspection tray" left in over winter as a dehumidifier. What do you think?

ADD With the bulk of the downward heat loss being radiant, I would polish it, natch...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back