Mesh floor material

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeronsReach

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Does anyone know what type of mesh thornes use for floors?

Hi , just looked on their website and all it says is : Tough coated mesh with alloy leading edge as a protector and stiffener, what it is coated in I don't know probably galvanised

What i'm after (cos i'm lazy) is the spec of mesh they use. I've bought the 18 x 18 galvanised sheets for making floors, but it's a bit pricey, so I was wondering if I can buy a large sheet and cut them out??

The mesh in Th0rne's budget floor (bees on a budget hive) is expanded galvanised steel. It does add some stability to the floor because it's stiffer than a wire mesh.

I got a couple of galvanised wire sheets from C Wynne Jones to make up into vents/screens etc, as cheap as anywhere for singles if you're passing.

I've looked around and they are about as cheap as you can get (for flat expanded metal), but I'm sure someone might know someone in the trade and get it at the right price. I have made a number of floor with it and it does add to the stiffness to the frame and helps it stay square.

I've ordered some mesh from here,
http://www.simonthebeekeeper.co.uk/...0-sheets-of-woven-mesh-national-or-langstroth
to use as vents in travel boxes. I'll let you know if it's any good.

Mike.

I was wondering if I can buy a large sheet and cut them out??

Of course you can. Trouble is the standard sized sheets leave a wide strip of 'scrap'. It is usable of course (and Th8rne will use most offcuts for other items - or they may order enough to be able to get a a more useful size of sheet delivered).

If you can wait, the winter sales often have this on special offer.

Thanks i'll try Thomas Graham. Surprised nobody's asked this before!

Eric - Hard work never killed anybody!!

You specifically posted about Th8rne floors.

I would reckon that the stainless steel mesh from the mesh co is as good as you need and should last longer. Some wasps can get through some expanded steel (not a problem for a hive, except in very unusual circumstances I would think), but needs to be considered when covering stores within the apiary! BTDT!

The woven mesh may be easier to damage (eg if a hive is dropped on something sharp while transporting), but so far I have had no problems on that score.

As TB(?) said the expanded mesh gives extra rigidity to the floors and is easy (when buying from Th8rne) as it can be used to 'square up' floor timber at the assembly stage.

Roundabouts and swings, but the mesh co are definitely good value when approached outside the "'small order' through epay" and I will deal with them again, next time I need a pile of mesh squares.

RAB

Yes I've used the two types of mesh that th*rnes supply and apparently the black thin mesh has a problem of bee legs being trapped in it, so I moved onto the galvanised diamond mesh which is very rigid once bent and sits very nice in the floors. I checked the price and its £4.39 for an 18 x 18 sheet.
I'll check flea bay
Ta

Latest posts

Back