mervyn shute hallo all. i live in newquay

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milton dahl

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
I live in Newquay and would like to know the size of hive best for this location. the nearest I have come is the Buckfast system which is not far from here. yet this system is on dadant with one extra brood frame. then it ent back to a normal size. dadant. i bought some dadant boxes and have yet to try them.
I cannot understand why dadant are not more popular.

Devon or Wales Newquay? The reason that dadant are not more popular is because once you start with a size of hi e you tend to keep to it and most of us started with National.
Welcome to the Forum

Devon or Wales Newquay? The reason that dadant are not more popular is because once you start with a size of hi e you tend to keep to it and most of us started with National.
Welcome to the Forum
In Ceredigion it’s New Quay

The reason that dadant are not more popular is because once you start with a size of hi e you tend to keep to it and most of us started with National.

Obviously all the "old hands" running the local BKA training courses need more people to sell their old kit to and that's never going to work if they end up choosing any of these new-fangled Dadant or Langstroth hives no matter how appropriate that might be for the colonies they might be keeping.

Every few years a rather sunburnt chap with horns and a pointy tail turns up on my shoulder and whispers that it would be so much more sensible to use a different format hive. One day I might end up listening to him.

James

If I had my time again I'd run Dadants.

If I had my time again I'd run Dadants.
Would you?
I wish I'd gone poly Lang when I started
I started with nationals and lasted one year before converting them to 14x12. The hoops I had to jump through to cobble together top space poly 14x12 in the early days!

Would you?
I wish I'd gone poly Lang when I started
I started with nationals and lasted one year before converting them to 14x12. The hoops I had to jump through to cobble together top space poly 14x12 in the early days!
Yes Dani, I went national because I joined a bee club and fell under the BBKA tryst of only nationals are best and I cant get on with them.

As I'd bought a fair bit of kit when I realised, the cheapest way to convert was to go commercial BB's as they have the same "footprint" as nationals and I only needed to change the BB which I make and they give me 20,500 extra cells. Much better for me.

When I started beekeeping about ten years ago I borrowed a hive from my builder. It was a Langstroth and I have had them ever since, despite some good natured pressure from the BKA I joined to learn the basics. Very pleased to have fallen on my feet. I keep hearing experienced beeks, including former senior bee inspectors saying they wished they had started with Langs.

Welcome to the forum. How are your bees?;)

Latest posts

Back