Merchantable quality of bee associated equipment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see that on the "other forum" a member on there thinks they have bought from the same place (same poor quality)

How are others to be informed not to buy if the seller is not named?

Best realy for this thread not to have been started, it is just like playing 20 questions!:toetap05:

if it is constructed right no need for paint this only makes a slippery surface for the bees

Hmmm, having tried making feeders myself, (see - Rapid Feeders DIY- thread) I can say if you don't apply a waterproof coating to the wood, then sugar solution soaks into the surface and goes black and mouldy and possibly causes fermentation to set in on re-use.

I did paint mine and the paint dried well and quickly being touch dry in 4 hours and odour free in 48 hours.

I use the plastic 6 litre ones from Thornes (who don't appear to sell Miller feeders). Seem to be fine.

It's ridged slightly on the part of the cone which they climb down to get the feed.
Suppose it gives them some grip.

Thats what i thought,as thats the only bit the bee's have contact with.

I think I recognise from part of one of the photos it looks like feeders currently on sale on Ebay? as for the paint if they as I suspect have painted over the knots and not first treated the knots the paint will probably never dry properly

The feeder wasn't from ebay.

Some areas of the paint were much worse than others although it still stunk of paint five days after delivery- I took the feeders into another room far away from where they were and an hour or so later that room had a just been painted whiff. But I think It's almost certainly a paint mixing/formulation issue as the piece of paper shown in the photos is still sat on my desk and the paint isn't dry.

The rest of the woodwork was ok quality. The nails were punched far too far below the surface for my liking and it was clear the wood had just been cut and never been though a thicknesser or if it had the blades were knackered. I get significantly better surface quality using b&q 'timber' and a couple of passes through my thicknesser. Obviously on areas in contact with the bees feet a rough surface is better, but gooey gloss isn't :)

Use waterproof PVA or glass resin to seal and just as it is drying sprinkle sand on to the verticle bee surfaces to improve bee purchase (inner baffles only). Works a treat, certified and tested!

To bring this back on to the original subject, if this does go to Court, the Judge will not be impressed if he knows the details of the case have been discussed on an open forum.

Good point, beadons. Wouldn't it have been better to await the outcome and then post on the forum as a warning (if you 'win') or as personal experience (if you don't).

bee-smillie

Other Forum

Don't want to hijack but which is the 'other forum'?

BBKA?

TIA

Adri

An update.

On the day the court papers were due to be filed I received a full refund of the cost of goods, and the postage both ways. They also altered their website regarding Distance Selling Returns but in doing so they still fail to recognise their statutory obligations under these regulations when a customer returns faulty goods (and heaven help you in this respect as three of their directors apparently deemed permanently wet paint and missing parts perfectly acceptable quality) In future I'd sooner buy my beekeeping bits on eBay from a bloke in Nigeria.

P.S. If anyone hasn't realised by now the name of this supplier and wants to know who this bunch of w*nkers are then PM me.

:puke: *********

Latest posts

Back