Sugar syrup feed – what did I do wrong?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graham Coulson

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
This is my first season and I now only have one hive.

I started feeding my bees on 18th September, at the rate of 1kg of sugar to 1 pint of water per feed, in a Miller-type feeder.

All seemed to go very smoothly as the bees took up their feed at an astonishing rate. I regularly found the feeder completely dry on every second day after feeding, which is when I thought I should feed the bees again (i.e. every third day). Total amount fed so far is 8kg.

This last week we had a bit of a cold snap (averaging around 9°C) with continuous light rain and I thought it would be kinder to the bees if I delayed feeding until the weather improved a little.

I went to resume today when I discovered that there was syrup still in the feeder left over from 4 days before and that there were thirty or forty dead bees in the syrup (presumably drowned, although it was really not at all deep).

I have obviously stopped feeding now, presuming that the bees have fully stocked their stores and can accept no more.

I am very sad to have murdered such a large number of bees. What did I do wrong, please? Any views or comments to enable me to do things better in the future would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited:
There's a bit on feeding in every good beekeeping book; you feed stronger syrup in autum, 2kg sugar to 1 litre water.

"you feed stronger syrup in autum, 2kg sugar to 1 litre water."

He's used 1kg to 1 pint so much nearer to 2:1 than 1:1.

question is where where the dead bees? in the main reservoir or the bit the bees normally access to feed?

question is where where the dead bees? in the main reservoir or the bit the bees normally access to feed?

They had progressed into the main reservoir -- the gap under the divider between their access box and the main reservoir is big enough to allow bees into the latter. This was sometimes a problem when pouring in the syrup, because I would often find bees already there and I didn't want to immerse them...

Perhaps I should feed at half the quantity per feed and feed every day?

It seems to me that some colonies get the hang of not drowning and others don't and drown........there's not a lot you can do about it apart from learn to accept the inevitable.

As for them stopping taking feed, once they have started it's no good witholding, for whatever reasons. keep the feeder filled until the hive is hefted as heavy enough. If you stop feeding they often don't resume.

Frisbee

On the syrup strength I have assumed 2:1 meant 2 jugs of sugar to 1 jug of water. This equates to 2.2 kgs of sugar to 1 pint of water. It mixes well but possibly at the saturation point? Is this too stong?

1:1 follows the same logic.

"the gap under the divider between their access box and the main reservoir is big enough to allow bees into the latter. "

you need to get a piece of fine mesh/gauze to pin across the gap to prevent this - a strip of varroa mesh will do.

It seems to me that some colonies get the hang of not drowning and others don't and drown........there's not a lot you can do about it apart from learn to accept the inevitable.

As for them stopping taking feed, once they have started it's no good witholding, for whatever reasons. keep the feeder filled until the hive is hefted as heavy enough. If you stop feeding they often don't resume.

Frisbee

I have 3 hives, 2 of which are splits of one colony. All have identical rapid feeders. 2 manage fine, and each time I go the feeder is clean and empty. 1 can't work it out at all, and each time the feeder is half full with a scum of dead bees. I suspect they're just a bit thick.

On the syrup strength I have assumed 2:1 meant 2 jugs of sugar to 1 jug of water. This equates to 2.2 kgs of sugar to 1 pint of water. It mixes well but possibly at the saturation point? Is this too stong?

1:1 follows the same logic.

yes two strong, it will crystalise even if you manage to disolve it

by weight not volume

imperial 2lb of sugar to one pint of water about 1.6:1 by weight ( ie 904g to 568g of water), this was the old 2:1

or

2kg of sugar to 1litre 2:1 (2kg sugar to 1kg water)

i use the older 2lbs to 1 pint, cos i am old

Thanks MM,
I have just realised I have been thick. It is 2.2lbs to 1 pint I have been using or 1kg to one pint of water for 2:1. And 2.2lbs to 2 pints of water for 1:1.

Sorry I wasted your time.

Closing the gap

"the gap under the divider between their access box and the main reservoir is big enough to allow bees into the latter. "

you need to get a piece of fine mesh/gauze to pin across the gap to prevent this - a strip of varroa mesh will do.

Thanks for this good advice; I'll follow it up. not worthy

Latest posts

Back