Mead set for a come back!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not tried the Cornish variety, but my favourite when a serious and committed mead drinker about 20 years ago was Lindesfarne - absolutely beautiful

no different to the beeb being taken in every year by the toy manufacturers and their feature on the top 10 best sellers for the coming xmas.

It was very dark mead. The stuff we have made was always very pale. Perhaps dark honey was used but more likely there are things added to give it a bit more flavour. Was the honey local? The descriptionon their website gives no clue which probably means it isn't. I also suspect it is not traditional mead either. They describe it as a honey flavoured wine. They also do a "luqueur" (sic)

Their website is here: http://www.cornishmead.co.uk/

Last edited:
If you had have told me a few years ago that Perry would be so popular today (albeit rebranded as Pear Cider) I never would have believed you. So maybe a bit of rebranding for Mead could see it enjoy the same resurgence - it's a nice drink.

Here are some recepies;
http://www.greydragon.org/brewing/mead.html

However I only tried the aprox ratio of honey to water, using some remains from heather honey-wax,filtered, boiled and fermeted with cider yeast. The final product is not bad, nice flavour, a bit sweet but strong.
Any recomendations for futher trials.
CG

How sweet do you like your mead?

I like mine very very dry.

PH

5,005 posts PH. I didn't hear any corks popping with the 5,000th? But well done. Crack open a bottle of mead - real mead not the honey flavoured grape-based drink featured above.(see their website).

Sighs, I don't have any made...

Best I ever made was down to an sg of 995... that was powerful stuff, 17% alcohol.

Must try again this year.... lol

PH

The "mead" that started this thread is very nice, but it is not traditional mead. It is a honey flavoured drink.

News bothers me a bit. Too much surplus honey around? Mead is very nice but honey on my brekkie etc nicer.

I do mead fairly reguarly, and I find 5 1/2 pounds of honey to one gallon of water, dessert wine yeast, 1 tsp each of tannin and citric acid and 3 of yeast nutrient makes a very very nice, strong mead with the sweetness roughly like Hock. And it's nice and easy to put together!

Here's a nice variation on the Guardian website. www dot guardian dot co dot uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2012/feb/15/how-to-make-metheglin

I'm yet to test it out.

My BKA is having a lectur on Mead making on the 31st by a member of Enfield and District BKA

They have promised free samples of mead.....so i am going by Bus...a number 34 just as in my Avitar

I already have beer making facilities, I guess making mead isn't much more challenging?

Honey already has yeast in it doesn't it? I guess I should take some time to read the links!!!

Latest posts

Back