Mass of bees flying around then all poured into the hive?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I visited my hives at 3pm and there was a mass of bees outside one hive, hundreds! All over the front of the hive and masses flying around then suddenly they all poured back into the hive en mass. Next minute hive just as normal. Thoughts anyone?

Is this the hive with a virgin queen? could be a mating flight - bit late in the day but hey, they're bees they don't read the BBKA handbook :D

What do you mean they don't read the BBKA book? I got them a copy each! What am I going to do with them now? :willy_nilly:

I visited my hives at 3pm and there was a mass of bees outside one hive, hundreds! All over the front of the hive and masses flying around then suddenly they all poured back into the hive en mass. Next minute hive just as normal. Thoughts anyone?

Orientation. Usually about that height of sun in my hives (bit later on the clock nearer midsummer). First time I saw it, I had been bashing a root about 12 feet form the hives and panicked that I had triggered a swarm.

You might have a look and see if your queen is still there and marked
If she was injured or lost in a previous inspection you will see recently hatched Qcells
Possibly if there are new sealed Qcells perhaps you have had a late swarm
It's hard to say without being there

Sent from my LIFETAB_S1034X using Tapatalk

You might have a look and see if your queen is still there and marked
If she was injured or lost in a previous inspection you will see recently hatched Qcells
Possibly if there are new sealed Qcells perhaps you have had a late swarm
It's hard to say without being there

he has one hive and a caught swarm - both suspected as headed by virgins.

If the OP observed the bees suddenly and en masse pouring back into the hive doesn't sound like orientation to me - neither does the bees being 'all over the front' of the hive - looks more like they were queueing up to get back in.
Orientaton flights last a little while and is usually just clouds of bees milling around the front of the hive all facing the entrance.

Now a mating swarm looks rather like the ones in the photos which i took whilst witmessing one a few years ago

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 67
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 67
I see
I just read from the start of the thread so didn't have all the background
I usually keep my nose out of your forum
Thanks for the update

It could be an aborted swarm attempt i.e. the queen did not go with them. Any chance of having missed a queen cell?
Or is this the hive you left two QC in?

Last edited:
Could be a late swarm attempt with a clipped queen. The rest of the bees return when the clipped queen falls down and the bees can't find her.

Could be a late swarm attempt with a clipped queen. The rest of the bees return when the clipped queen falls down and the bees can't find her.

According to another thread - OP has one hive which has swarmed and is now awaiting a virgin mating and a caught swarm which looks like its headed by a virgin as well :)

Why?...

There is a tendency to ignore the original post and find issue with the previous reply instead
With 70 colonies to look after at the moment I am happy enough just to read the threads without offering opinions
This is post is off topic but since you ask I felt it polite to reply

Latest posts

Back