Masks/filters for oxalic

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand the manufacturer's concerns and the risk if they recommend a much higher screening but P3 will adequately capture the OA released whilst, sensibly, using equipment commercially available
As I've said several times on here (post #2) , the manufacturers of Apibioxal recommend a FFP2 mask for sublimation of their product in their MSDS sheet which is available on request.

Last edited:
As I've said several times on here, the manufacturers of Apibioxal recommend a FFP2 mask for sublimation of their product in their MDS sheet which is available on request.
They will prevent the particulates getting through but the issue I have is that these are generally the lightweight disposable masks as we've been used to using during Covid.... but, their fit around the edges is not always that good with the normal single elastic holding it in place. Whilst it may be 'adequate' it's at the low end of adequate.

They will prevent the particulates getting through but the issue I have is that these are generally the lightweight disposable masks as we've been used to using during Covid.... but, their fit around the edges is not always that good with the normal single elastic holding it in place. Whilst it may be 'adequate' it's at the low end of adequate.
FFP2 is a full face mask and hence will need to fit around eyes as well as mouth and nose.
Not what most people wore during Covid!

these are generally the lightweight disposable masks as we've been used to using during Covid.... but, their fit around the edges is not always that good with the normal single elastic holding it in place. Whilst it may be 'adequate' it's at the low end of adequate.

They were considered more than adequate when we were handling industrial quantities of 90% pure cocaine!

Reactions: mbc
There has to be some perk of the job I suppose😉
I remember a busy period when we had more than ten tons of the finest cannabis resin held at the queen's warehouse at Avonmouth - even working in the main part of the warehouse outside the high security 'vault', the fumes were pretty heady - the queen's warehousekeeper had to take some time away because of it (or at least his colleagues told me he'd been tripping for a fortnight!)

Actually, this is the mask that I use. I am not cavalier about my health or anyone else's for that matter - the mask is a good quality, comfortable mask to wear and with a P3 filter I have found it more than adequate for use with sublimated OA. It has the following properties:

Hazard Types
  • Solid and liquid particles, including those containing oil.
  • Dusts, mists, and fumes from sanding, grinding, cutting, drilling metal.
  • Mist droplets from spraying.
  • Organic Vapours and Gases.

Things to consider when selecting
  • P3 particulate filter – All particulates including highly toxic materials.
  • P3 filters separates 99.95% of airborne particles.
  • P3 has also an organic vapor relief.
When you consider the vapourisation of OA - it is a vapour only for a very short time before it becomes particulate, you are not (generally) in an enclosed environment and in many cases you will be inside a bee suit with the mask on and if you have any sense you will not be leaning over the hive whilst you are treating them.

I understand the manufacturer's concerns and the risk if they recommend a much higher screening but P3 will adequately capture the OA released whilst, sensibly, using equipment commercially available to beekeepers.

Clearly, you need to be sensible - use the sublimation equipment as it is designed, use the recommended amount of OA (2.5gms) so that you are not generating excessive volumes of vapour and ensure that the minimum amounts of vapour can escape from the hive during treatment. Make sure the mask is well fitted to your face and change the filters as recommended (every 40 hours of use is the standard - or 12 months - although, if you keep them in ziplock bags, clean the outside after use and look after them for the amount of use they get they can last well beyond 12 months.).

You do need additional eye protection - safety glasses are not adequate - you need something that fits with a seal around the edges, these are not expensive - between £5 or £15 will get you a decent mask. If you wear glasses it they may cost you a bit more.

A lot of PPE is dependent upon the wearer exercising a modicum of common sense - your health is important, OA is a noxious substance and you do NOT want to expose your lungs or your eyes to contact with it. If you just have a few hives to treat then, with the caveats above, then £30 will get you adequately protected. If you are treating 50 hives in rapid succession ... I might be inclined to go to a full face model for convenience as much as anything.

The mask is available on Amazon (if you don't mind contributing more to Jeff Beazos fortune and Amazon's rape of the market place) for a little over £20. I'd rather see someone spend £30 on PPE that they can afford than baulk at £80 and risk going without.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ForceTM8-Respirator-Complete-PressToCheckTM-Filters/dp/B00ZCOFHM0
https://www.amazon.co.uk/539169-Pro...986084&sprefix=safety+goggles,aps,119&sr=8-25
Many thanks - Im going to get one.
Yes, using ones noddle is also important and no amount of PPE can mask stupidity.:ROFLMAO:

Actually, this is the mask that I use. I am not cavalier about my health or anyone else's for that matter - the mask is a good quality, comfortable mask to wear and with a P3 filter I have found it more than adequate for use with sublimated OA. It has the following properties:

Hazard Types
  • Solid and liquid particles, including those containing oil.
  • Dusts, mists, and fumes from sanding, grinding, cutting, drilling metal.
  • Mist droplets from spraying.
  • Organic Vapours and Gases.

Things to consider when selecting
  • P3 particulate filter – All particulates including highly toxic materials.
  • P3 filters separates 99.95% of airborne particles.
  • P3 has also an organic vapor relief.
When you consider the vapourisation of OA - it is a vapour only for a very short time before it becomes particulate, you are not (generally) in an enclosed environment and in many cases you will be inside a bee suit with the mask on and if you have any sense you will not be leaning over the hive whilst you are treating them.

I understand the manufacturer's concerns and the risk if they recommend a much higher screening but P3 will adequately capture the OA released whilst, sensibly, using equipment commercially available to beekeepers.

Clearly, you need to be sensible - use the sublimation equipment as it is designed, use the recommended amount of OA (2.5gms) so that you are not generating excessive volumes of vapour and ensure that the minimum amounts of vapour can escape from the hive during treatment. Make sure the mask is well fitted to your face and change the filters as recommended (every 40 hours of use is the standard - or 12 months - although, if you keep them in ziplock bags, clean the outside after use and look after them for the amount of use they get they can last well beyond 12 months.).

You do need additional eye protection - safety glasses are not adequate - you need something that fits with a seal around the edges, these are not expensive - between £5 or £15 will get you a decent mask. If you wear glasses it they may cost you a bit more.

A lot of PPE is dependent upon the wearer exercising a modicum of common sense - your health is important, OA is a noxious substance and you do NOT want to expose your lungs or your eyes to contact with it. If you just have a few hives to treat then, with the caveats above, then £30 will get you adequately protected. If you are treating 50 hives in rapid succession ... I might be inclined to go to a full face model for convenience as much as anything.

The mask is available on Amazon (if you don't mind contributing more to Jeff Beazos fortune and Amazon's rape of the market place) for a little over £20. I'd rather see someone spend £30 on PPE that they can afford than baulk at £80 and risk going without.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ForceTM8-Respirator-Complete-PressToCheckTM-Filters/dp/B00ZCOFHM0
https://www.amazon.co.uk/539169-Pro...986084&sprefix=safety+goggles,aps,119&sr=8-25
I bought these goggles. They have ventilation holes at the top and bottom. This means that OA vapour can get it. Before using them I will tape up the holes. I don't want OA in my eyes.

I bought these goggles. They have ventilation holes at the top and bottom. This means that OA vapour can get it. Before using them I will tape up the holes. I don't want OA in my eyes.
It's to stop them steaming up, a full face mask would be the best option but keeping away from any vapour should be OK.

I wear glasses with these goggles ... they work fine for me - I've never felt any issues with my eyes. If you think about it - when you are wearing them there is no positive flow of air that would drag the OA sublimate into your eyes - you are not going to be sticking your head into clouds of OA vapour. Well, if you are - you need to adjust your technique ! Whilst I am all in favour of appropriate PPE - steamed up eyewear is probably more of a hazard when vaping than any risk of vapour getting in through the ventilation holes.

But ... you must do what you feel is right for you.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back