Marmalade....novel cleaning agent

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I made some marmalade this weekend.
I used an old pair of rubber beekeeping gloves to squeeze out the muslin and extract all the jelly... and the hot jam has cleaned all the old propolis and gunk off the gloves....and the marmalade tastes fab!

Just thought I'd share

Reminds me of a tale told by my better half (ex teacher):

One of her pupils once offered her a scone, freshly made in the earlier Home Economics class. The offer was followed by the aside "I like making scones - it gets all the muck out from under your fingernails".
Needless to say, the offer was politely declined!

Yum!

Tony.

I made some marmalade this weekend.
I used an old pair of rubber beekeeping gloves to squeeze out the muslin and extract all the jelly... and the hot jam has cleaned all the old propolis and gunk off the gloves....and the marmalade tastes fab!

Just thought I'd share

Stewing Rhubarb is a superb way to clean hard water scale from saucepans. When our firstborn came along glass baby bottles were still in vogue and sterilisation by boiling the norm. We ended up with a severely scaled aluminum saucepan. After boiling up a stewed rhubarb batch the pan gleamed like a brand new one. :)

Stewing Rhubarb is a superb way to clean hard water scale from saucepans. When our firstborn came along glass baby bottles were still in vogue and sterilisation by boiling the norm. We ended up with a severely scaled aluminum saucepan. After boiling up a stewed rhubarb batch the pan gleamed like a brand new one. :)

Apibipoxall or whatever the £11 for 35 pence worth sachets of stuff will do the same!

Yeghes da

The thread reminds me of an uncle who worked on pumps. He was at a jam factory and rather oily/greasy to above his elbows, after fixing their pump problem. When he asked about cleaning up facilities he was directed to a large vat of jam/marmalde or similar. He said it worked marvellously but he would not be buying that make of jam in future!

Naive of him because it was likely a common practice in most, or all, jam factories of the day!

Latest posts

Back