Mares Tails

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
>20
Any tips on eradicating this stuff?

Have already trampled the growth ready for spraying with Roundup and I am expecting that I will need to respray.
HAs anyone used Acetic Acid to burn it off?

There is a product called kurtail that can help.

It's main problem is the waxy coating on it's structure that makes most prioducts run off. Diesel would probablty work as a wax solvent (bit messy though) but any dewaxer would help and then treat same day with something like 'brushwood' or similar.
Big problem are the rhizomes that travel deep underground and pop up where you least expect. So repeat treatment is usually the norm.
The other method is to move house! :)

The mares tails popped up on my building site this year thanks to someone who added "vegetable matter" to a pile of prunings I had gathered off the site.
Any benefit in strimming or scything the old growth so that the spray hits tender new growth? Is strimming likely to spread the problem?

The mares tails popped up on my building site this year thanks to someone who added "vegetable matter" to a pile of prunings I had gathered off the site.
Any benefit in strimming or scything the old growth so that the spray hits tender new growth? Is strimming likely to spread the problem?

This pest can usually spread by the rhizomes travelling underground from neighbouring properties, but can even spread by 'spores' (a bit like bracken) Strimming it, if mature plants, may just help spread the spores in the wind and make matters worse. Best try the 'solvent then poison' method as mentioned previously. Leave it too long between solvent and poison and the wax will come back and protect the plant from the poison again. They really are resiliant!!!:)

Mares Tail

Have already trampled the growth ready for spraying with Roundup and I am expecting that I will need to respray.

I killed a great swathe of the stuff around a bungalow near me. First thing I did was trample it and scuff the foliage. Then I applied a strong mix of glyphosphate and super strength weedol mixed together with fairy liquid added to the mix.
Sprayed it liberally on a dry day without rain for at least 6 hours.
It took three weeks for it to go brown but it has all gone.

It is one of our oldest plants, you can find it meters under the ground. A tiny broken part will root and a million seeds can come from the 'head'.
Good luck with getting rid of it. I lived with it for nine years and, as a keen gardener, would never buy another house with it growing in the garden!
E

It is one of our oldest plants, you can find it meters under the ground. A tiny broken part will root and a million seeds can come from the 'head'.
Good luck with getting rid of it. I lived with it for nine years and, as a keen gardener, would never buy another house with it growing in the garden!
E

I have never known anyone totally eradicate the stuff, you think you have it nailed one minute then next year it appears again.

Mares Tail requires permanently damp ground, if you can drain the area, it will die out.

Last edited:

Yep, got this stuff down the allotment. Kurtail which everyone's reccomending is the stuff to use but just a small amount added to your usual Glyphosate weed killer is all you need.

You'll need to repeat it every seaon too for a while or forever if it's growing in from beyond your boundaries. I tried using it on the new shoots as they emerge but that didn't really make a dent in it. Waiting for it to be a foot long and spraying it with a kurtail/glyphostae cocktail did the trick

I bought some Kurtail (after taking out a second mortgage) - yes it kills the stuff it contacts, but new stuff just keeps on coming through, so a few months on and it's the same as before.

I have about a quarter of an acre of wall-to-wall Mares-Tail, and the stuff keeps creeping towards other, clean areas.

What I'm going to try next year is to mark out a section, strim it down to (say) an inch from the ground - then immediately spray that section with Roundup, and hopefully get spray into those cut stalks before they self-heal. Then strim another section, spray, and so on ...

It's the only way I can figure of getting past the waxy coating.
LJ

I use Weedol with added washing up liquid and painted on with a brush and vinyl gloves. Seems to work well in a garden on individual plants.

Latest posts

Back