Mares Tails

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought some Kurtail (after taking out a second mortgage) - yes it kills the stuff it contacts, but new stuff just keeps on coming through, so a few months on and it's the same as before.

I have about a quarter of an acre of wall-to-wall Mares-Tail, and the stuff keeps creeping towards other, clean areas.

What I'm going to try next year is to mark out a section, strim it down to (say) an inch from the ground - then immediately spray that section with Roundup, and hopefully get spray into those cut stalks before they self-heal. Then strim another section, spray, and so on ...

It's the only way I can figure of getting past the waxy coating.
LJ

All you need is diesel or something similar mixed in with the roundup and the waxy coat won't be a problem.

If you're going to use roundup it works better on full foliage when the plant is young and developing

The foliage of Mares Tail is waxy - that's the bl##dy problem with the stuff when spraying. I was planning to dose the cut hollow stems, when hopefully (...) the glyphosate will be carried down via the phloem - before any healing takes place.

Ammonium Sulphamate is a known Mares-Tail killer - but like Kurtail, it costs and arm and a leg.
LJ

BINGO - I just found a place: https://mistralni.co.uk/products/ammonium-sulphamate
5kg for £25 delivered .... that's for me, come the new year.

Last edited:
glyphosate

glyphosate is the best raw content mix it 10-2 -1 with water.water is the reactor.sprayed twice 4 weeks apart.had some of a farmer friend and killed the lot in my garden with nothing coming back through.ps if you spray anything else it will kill that also.

Latest posts

Back