MAQ's, the new varroa treatment.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some will refuse to use the product, simply because the main UK agent is an agricultural supplier.

The ant population think so!
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We had hoped to have MAQS Beehive strip available ahead of the BBKA Spring Convention on April 12th/13th.

Unfortunately, due to Canadian shipping issues beyond our control, we have just been told that the product will not be here in time.

We have been informed that the end of April is a realistic target date for release. This is of course dependant upon shipping and a fair wind!

Please take a look at the Pricing and Availability section of************** for latest news.

Like all goods things, we believe MAQS is worth the wait!

Please come and see us at stand 42, Hall B of the BBKA Spring Convention.

formic / acetic / lactic / oxalic ...

More than 'natural', I think they are even 'organic'!
(That's what my old German chemistry schoolbook calls them: "organische Saeuren"...)

Reiner

Organic chemistry or organic acids. They have carbon. Inorganic have not.

Natural acids mean that honeybee can handle those stuff in their metabolism, or exrecete them via urine or via feces.

And important is that human as honey consumer can handle them too.

Those acids exist in honeys as natural component.

Wiki: Formic acid (also called methanoic acid) is the simplest carboxylic acid. Its chemical formula is HCOOH or HCO2H. It is an important intermediate in chemical synthesis and occurs naturally, most notably in the venom of bee and ant stings. In fact, its name comes from the Latin word for ant, formica, referring to its early isolation by the distillation of ant bodies. Esters, salts, and the anion derived from formic acid are referred to as formates.

Last edited:
As MAQS is now available I asked the question about poly's the response was:

Hi Chris, no problems with using MAQS/formic acid on poly hives.

Thanks for contacting before treatment. To find out more and best practices visit www.maqs.co.uk

Kathleen

Kathleen Ireland
Manager of Global Marketing
NOD Global Ltd.
866-483-2929

Healthy Bees. Healthy Planet.
Please add [email protected] to your safe sender email address book today.

Came across this comment in the spring 2013 edition of the Manitoba Beekeeper newsletter .....

Among the calls were problems using Mite-Away Quick Strips (MAQS™) in Manitoba, as well as outside the province. For example there were reports of over 30% of queens damaged or lost in a yard when using the product according to label instructons.
http://manitobabee.org/hive/category/newsletter/

A system where you can regulate the rate of evaporation to respond to increased temperatures may be safer. I had very little problems using apidea evaporators.
There is also some recent research from Canada comparing Oxalic and FA including MAQS as spring treatments.

Results suggest that varroa control is obtained from all spring treatment options. However, all groups treated with FA showed slower summer hive population build-up resulting in reduced honey flow and weaker hives at the end of summer. FA had an immediate toxic effect on bees that resulted in queen death in five colonies. The OA treatments that were tested have minimal toxic impacts on the honey bee colonies.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21442305

There is also some recent research from Canada comparing Oxalic and FA including MAQS as spring treatments.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21442305

This is a relatively small study but the results are obviously of immense concern ... looks like Formic acid is a bit of a risk in several ways if the results of this test are accepted. Anyone going to try it ?

I intend to use it now that Thornes are selling it

Not sure of the logic there ?

Me neither :) after all , they have supplied various treatments in the past that have been subsequently withdrawn !
I suppose the ops logic being that from a legitimate source some kind of endorsement (extra guarantee ) is purchased along with the product!
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MAQS: Dead bees and queen cells

I found a number (4) of varroa mites on my floor in last weeks inspection. I don't think I have a heavy infestation but wanting to do something I bought two strips of MAQS
When I opened up on Saturday I found an unsealed queen cell with larva in it.
At the end of the inspection I put the MAQS strips horizontally on the top of the brood frames
My swarm control method is artificial swarm so I made up a new box and went back on Sunday morning. I moved the old queen plus one frame of brood into a new box and then moved to one side the old box with 8 frames full of brood in various stages together with the queen cell and the MAQS strips.
This morning I have around 15 bees dead or dying - lying on their backs with their legs kicking in the air - around the front of the old box
My questions are
1. Should I be surprised that I have dead/dying bees in front of my box

If MAQS acts on brood then they are in the right box (ie because it is full of brood) and if my queen cell hasn't hatched then the reported problems of the queen not laying whilst the strips are on aren't going to affect me as the queen hasn't hatched let alone mated. So my second question is
2.Is there any problem with using MAQS whilst my queen cell is open?

As ever all advice gratefully received

Jackstraw,
Randy Oliver's article mentions brood loss so I guess your unsealed QC is at risk.
My other observation is that if you found only one unsealed QC your colony is superseding and you don't need to AS.

A drop of 4 mites (in a week? even in 24 hours) is not something to panic about.
Take a look at "Managing Varroa", and the graphs at the back (used to be Fig 50, now 54?)

MAQS is a pretty 'vigorous' treatment.
I wouldn't be rushing into MAQS treatment on the basis of seeing 4 mites.

Agree with Erica about likely supercedure interrupted.

And I definitely wouldn't choose to use MAQS with any open or sealed QCs around ...

Last edited:
Thanks

Many thanks erichalfbee and itma

I realise now that I overlooked many eggs in my inspection last week (shall get bigger glasses!) which have now hatched and turned into larva. So what I thought was a nice colony coming on slowly was in fact a brood box full of eggs and brood. They are planning to swarm because they had not got enough room. Had I realised I would have put a super on underneath the queen excluder, but by then they had created a queen cell

You are right it is indeed a supercedure queen cell but given that I would like to take my single colony up to two I thought that I would take the opportunity to practice an artificial swarm and, if it goes according to Hooper then I will have my second hive

I am a little fastidious about hygiene and so when I saw varroa mites I reacted quickly. I will take the MAQS out and watch to see how the varroa develops first

Thanks again

Jack

Latest posts

Back