MAQS - Formic Pro

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I should add that I have absolutely no commercial relationship with NOD. Oh, that's not quite true - they did once give me a teeshirt when I bought some MAQS at a Spring Convention.

of Anyone able to enlighten me?
Although I never used MAQS with supers in place prior to extraction there’s always a super in place during treatment prior to autumn feed / top’n’tailing.
Instructions are available on tut internet but from the great US of A - these seem to contradict the UK initial guidance not only in advice about supers but also methods of application………….

Here is a taste reseach about acids' influence on the taste of honey year 1999. Honey research centre of Switzerland. You can find many others from google.

Screenshot_20220222-155846_Google.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies Finman.
Still none the wiser though why MAQS says ok with supers & Formic Pro (UK instructions) says not to be used with supers……….

I see another thread regarding Formic Pro has appeared so will monitor that one also.

Thanks for the replies Finman.
Still none the wiser though why MAQS says ok with supers & Formic Pro (UK instructions) says not to be used with supers……….

Formic acid is an old treatment method, 25 years old. Old shool it is evident that no one use formic acid with supers.

What is said now in Formic Pro is, that do not use it when you are feedong your bees. Thymol is used when feeding.

You may understand too, that to treat supers id not wise. You need lots of chemical to do so.

Advice from Canada:
Screenshot_20220222-164403_Google.jpg

Last edited:
Oops.

You're right, I surely do not want to repeat the experience!
Me neither but I don't mind repeating the tale....I tried MAQS the season it became available......keen as I am to try new things and it was a disaster. Two queens dead.
Never again

Me neither but I don't mind repeating the tale....I tried MAQS the season it became available......keen as I am to try new things and it was a disaster. Two queens dead.
Never again

Whereas I tried MAQs once - carefully following instructions and varying dose by hive size - and had zero issues. (Hives and nucs)

(BUT I did read the experiences of others!)

I meant strange that you could now can’t.
Maybe they listened to enrico

Quite many experienced beekeepers have lost queens with formic acid.

I read from Slovakia, that formic acid can be used up to 30C . Canadians say use it under 25C.

When I used first time formic acid, I lost skin from my two fingers.

Quite many experienced beekeepers have lost queens with formic acid.

Temperature is important, and an experienced beekeeper understand that, if using formic acid. A beekeeper is used to look at the weather and draw conclusions. I have never had any problems. And I am not even an experienced beekeeper, only 10+ years. It's probably a beekeeping myth, losing queens. One of many myths.

Temperature is important, and an experienced beekeeper understand that, if using formic acid. A beekeeper is used to look at the weather and draw conclusions. I have never had any problems. And I am not even an experienced beekeeper, only 10+ years. It's probably a beekeeping myth, losing queens. One of many myths.
My friend just told that he lost 4 queens with commercial packages of formic acid. Why it could be is myth?

To loose queens with formic acid is nothing myth. Use google. And it has nothing to do with your experience.

In order to kill bees with formic acid you have to overdose at high temperatures, why would anyone do that

Latest posts

Back