MAQS - Formic Pro

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In order to kill bees with formic acid you have to overdose at high temperatures, why would anyone do that

Normal dose over 25 C temperatures starts to kill queens. Read from google Canadian research "flash treatment formic acid".

Problem was, that weather can change and during long lasting treatment dose, and treament becomes poisonous. That is why Canada generated short lasting flash treatment.

Once upon a time there was thymol package maker, who started to make cheaper thymol doses. He put only 50% amount of thymol into the dose. Clients started to phone to the seller, that the stuff does not kill mites. Soon the answer was cleared out.

Many things can happen even in better families.

Last edited:
It's applied inside the hive, so the temperature inside the hive regulates the evaporation. Of course it's possible to f**k things up. But I myself have never lost no queen

It's applied inside the hive, so the temperature inside the hive regulates the evaporation. Of course it's possible to f**k things up. But I myself have never lost no queen

But you do not know much about beekeeping.
It same what I write to you. A sad case . I only waste my time with you.

Temperature is important, and an experienced beekeeper understand that, if using formic acid. A beekeeper is used to look at the weather and draw conclusions. I have never had any problems. And I am not even an experienced beekeeper, only 10+ years. It's probably a beekeeping myth, losing queens. One of many myths.
I lost 3 queens last year after using MAQs, and unfortunately the emergency QCs were also unviable due to the larvae also being damaged (a lot of larvae seemed to be damaged as they were removed by the bees and left outside the entrance or fell through the OMF) . I had read, very carefully, and followed precisely, the instructions because of the experiences of others (which I put down to them not following the instructions properly). I 'yellow carded' the MAQS and had a full follow up investigation from the VMD but didn't hear any more after that 😔

Thanks @ericbeaumont , good idea! 😊
I've just emailed the VMD investigator to ask for any update/ findings they can share. I'll update if I hear anything
Hi Kaz...yes please do. I used MAQS when it was first available a few years ago and I will never use it again. I wish I'd thought of yellow carding it. Well done

Reactions: Kaz
I lost 3 queens last year after using MAQs, and unfortunately the emergency QCs were also unviable due to the larvae also being damaged (a lot of larvae seemed to be damaged as they were removed by the bees and left outside the entrance or fell through the OMF) . I had read, very carefully, and followed precisely, the instructions because of the experiences of others (which I put down to them not following the instructions properly). I 'yellow carded' the MAQS and had a full follow up investigation from the VMD but didn't hear any more after that 😔
Almost the same situation the only time I ever tried it.
Given that this stuff is the 'russian roulette' of mite treatment , have the warnings been carried over to the "new" product
Not that it would ever be of interest to me now.

Reactions: Kaz
Ive used MAQS for two seasons and although it was effective against varroa it had negative effects on my hives despite adhering to the instructions and possibly giving a low dose because they were all double brood WBCs- I have queen loss/supercedure/brood loss.
Anyone had experience of VarroMed ?
A formic and oxalic acid combination liquid.

https://www.beevital.com/varromed

I see that the next generation of MAQS is landing on the UK shores - intrigued why you’re now unable to use with supers in place whereas this wasn’t the case with MAQS. Anyone able to enlighten me?
Although I never used MAQS with supers in place prior to extraction there’s always a super in place during treatment prior to autumn feed / top’n’tailing.
Instructions are available on tut internet but from the great US of A - these seem to contradict the UK initial guidance not only in advice about supers but also methods of application………….
I’m pretty sure I’ll continue either with MAQS or running colonies as brood & 1/2 with Formic Pro come Autumn but will search an answer in the meantime.
Their website says the following:

"You can treat with honey supers on in North America and New Zealand. Formic acid is an organic acid that naturally occurs in honey. Formicpro controls the vapour release of formic acid throughout the treatment period. By the end of treatment, formic acid levels in the hive reflect what naturally occurs in honey, when applied as per label.

All other countries do not have the approval to treat with honey supers on. Please consult the label for your country."

From that I would interpret that the restriction in the UK is a matter of licencing. Although whether that lack of a licence is due to a concern or just that paperwork isn't in place would be worth knowing.

Latest posts

Back