Manual Honey Filling Machine

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeBelle

New Bee
Reaction score
Hi there,

I’m looking at getting one of these machines (image attached) to help speed up the jarring process and was wondering if anyone can recommend one they already use or a brand?

I saw Abello had one for near enough £800! And then have seen some in other places for £150-£200 so obvious to quite a jump in price so wondering if anyone can suggest a brand or make?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0501.jpeg
    IMG_0501.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 1
I have just invested in one from Thornes on a recommendation from a guy in our division and did my first hopper of honey about 30lbs. Setting up was a doddle but take your time getting it calibrated but can't fault the reproducibility and accuracy once set up. I am doing about 500 jars a year and like the ability to change weights/volume for the different jar sizes. Until now have used a honey gate which was a bit hit and miss and needed a good deal of concentration not to overfill. It would be lovely if the hopper was double sized but it isn't and just live with it. No spillages or drips so harmony in the house. The one I bought needs 3 calibrated pumps for a 454g fill, two pumps for the 340g and the 227g

Last edited:
Isn’t there a machine that pumps it from the bucket?
I have looked also but not committed to anything just yet.

I have recently bought one of these manual ones from a beekeeping supplier, but wish I had checked out eBay/amazon first as the same machine is - £100 cheaper. It isn’t honey specific and quite generic.
I don’t think they are great for honey as supplied tbh, the exit pipe is far too narrow, I am trying to source a wider one, but the screw thread is not BSP (ie plumbing thread) or metric. Once I work out what it is it might be better. The manufacturer does have them for sale, but I can’t bring myself to spend £20 on what would be a couple of quid for one with a metric thread.
The flow works via a relatively small piston, volume is calibrated by a couple of nuts, which kind of works, but I feel doesn’t fill consistently, as the return speed to refill is variable.
Three “pumps” of the handle will fill a half pound, six (or thereabouts see note above) for a pound jar. Depending on the viscosity (ie temp) of the honey means this can be a real workout
It certainly gives a clean fill in a jar, however it is debatable if using a simple jug was easier with less things to clean afterwards.
I can imagine if you were looking to fill lots of small wedding favour type jars it would be ideal.
I wouldn’t buy it again, and if I haven’t put you off might have one for sale if you are interested!

I have recently bought one of these manual ones from a beekeeping supplier, but wish I had checked out eBay/amazon first as the same machine is - £100 cheaper. It isn’t honey specific and quite generic.
I don’t think they are great for honey as supplied tbh, the exit pipe is far too narrow, I am trying to source a wider one, but the screw thread is not BSP (ie plumbing thread) or metric. Once I work out what it is it might be better. The manufacturer does have them for sale, but I can’t bring myself to spend £20 on what would be a couple of quid for one with a metric thread.
The flow works via a relatively small piston, volume is calibrated by a couple of nuts, which kind of works, but I feel doesn’t fill consistently, as the return speed to refill is variable.
Three “pumps” of the handle will fill a half pound, six (or thereabouts see note above) for a pound jar. Depending on the viscosity (ie temp) of the honey means this can be a real workout
It certainly gives a clean fill in a jar, however it is debatable if using a simple jug was easier with less things to clean afterwards.
I can imagine if you were looking to fill lots of small wedding favour type jars it would be ideal.
I wouldn’t buy it again, and if I haven’t put you off might have one for sale if you are interested!
You might find some assistance with the non standard thread via one of the home hobby machinist FB groups

I got one of the thornes style machines from eBay direct from china. Identical to the one thornes supply but at half the cost.

I've adapted a bucket to feed the machine using furniture legs and a stainless steel boat water tank fitting. Although further work is needed as the legs are a bit too short at the moment but it still functions.

Has saved so much time jarring up and also helped ensure each jar is evenly filled.

Do you have photos, Ash?
Please excuse the condition just pulled it out of the cupboard hasn't been used in a while.

The issue I have is that the legs are not long enough to allow the hose to flex and so it's unstable.

Plan is to either

A) buy longer legs

B) use a second upsidedown bucket as a stand feeding the pipe through the bottom and out of the side. I think this would be more stable.

IMG20240829165534.jpgIMG20240829165550.jpg

Maybe I am being totally thick (wouldn't be the first time and won't be the last) but how does the bucket arrangement link to the "hopper" containing the honey on the manual filling machine. The small hopper size is the only drawback of the kit I have found as it takes a while for the honey to settle and lose its bubbles. A small sketch would be good,

Maybe I am being totally thick (wouldn't be the first time and won't be the last) but how does the bucket arrangement link to the "hopper" containing the honey on the manual filling machine. The small hopper size is the only drawback of the kit I have found as it takes a while for the honey to settle and lose its bubbles. A small sketch would be good,
There is no hopper on my machine. I connect the bucket directly to the pump on the side. The honey is gravity fed to the pump.

When I next jar up some honey I'll get pics to post here.

Latest posts

Back