Manipulating cloth anyone?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even if you used a freshly washed cloth, not using detergent, would it still pose a problem where diease is concerned?

Yes if your doing more than one colony with the cloth.

So if there is a consensus that a manipulation cloth represents a cross contamination vector and should not be used on that basis, how many who hold that view change their gloves between hives?

I have tried cloths to reduce flyers etc and have come to the conclusion they dont! With the exception of covering supers removed for brood box inspection or (the best use) covering cleared and removed supers during harvest (whilst removing others) to stop re-population - worth their weight in gold in that scenario!

Why change your gloves........bucket of bleach or soda between hives,dip hands and hive tool...simple and much easier than changing gloves.

If we are going geek on this one - propolis (and probably wax) - will act as a viral / bacterial protector against bleech or anything else for that matter baring radiation! and that assumes you are on non=permeable rubber or similar, good old leather, well then ............

Mmmmmmm!

I've seen what it does! Now how it does it, got the tee shirt etc.

:cheers2:

I carry a bag full of old, clean teatowels to the apiary and use my water spray to damp them when there. I have found them useful if the bees are feisty, especially when removing supers - it gives me a couple of extra seconds.

Only change 'nitrite' gloves when moving to second apiary or at end of visit, same for cleaning hive tool. The nitite gloves often tear after examining a hive or two so get changed regularly.

I usually have disposable latex gloves over Marigolds, and change the disposables after each hive.

I used my home-made manipulation cloth yesterday, more to keep the rain off the bees clustered on the central frames than to retain heat over the brood area while I swapped out some old / some full-of-stores frames to pop in some fresh foundation frames. There was a patch of mould in one corner, so kept it away from the hive, just in case.

Typical that I'm back at work today - and the skies are blue and it's 13 degrees. Bah!

We have two small (about A4) sheets of black correx with the edges folded over and stapled to cover the bees. The final size of the sheets is such that together they cover the the box. The folded edges rest on the sides of the box to give a bit of space. It appears to work. I suppose the material being really light proof helps... maybe, or maybe its self delusion. But then if it calms us, that might help calm the bees :)

I think manipulating cloths to be a harbour for pathogens !
I prefer to use a frame laid on top of brood chamber when bees require it . Normally I don't use anything :)
A little smoke under the crown board followed by misting with a water sprayer usually suffices :D
VM

Manipulating cloths can indeed spread disease from colony to colony (and from apiary to apiary) especially Nosmea and EFB. They also carry the smell of venom from bees that have stung it and this arouses the next colony you use it on. I suggest an alternative. When I remove the outer comb (which rarely has brood on it) I lay it over the open brood chamber so that it covers half of the frame tops and acts as a shield. I use Hoffmans so bees don't get crushed under the comb and it keeps the bees down and reduces the loss of heat from the brood nest during inspection. You can also use a dummy board in the same way. I have been doing this for decades and I have noticed others are taking this practise up in the last few years. As an B examiner I am always interested to see where beekeepers put the first comb they remove from the broodchamber. It is not hygienic to place it on the ground near the entrance/side of hive and there is always the remote possibility the queen is on it (despite checking!) to be lost in the vegetation around the hive . Some put this comb temporarily in a nucleus box and this can be considered good practise but risks the queen walking off it onto the surrounding woodwork and then going onto the comb placed in there from the next colony resulting in a lost queen!

When I remove the outer comb (which rarely has brood on it) I lay it over the open brood chamber so that it covers half of the frame tops and acts as a shield. I use Hoffmans so bees don't get crushed under the comb and it keeps the bees down and reduces the loss of heat from the brood nest during inspection. You can also use a dummy board in the same way.

That is just what I was taught to do by my Grandad.. he would be 112 if he was still alive !

( A Victorian, but only just !)

When I remove the outer comb (which rarely has brood on it) I lay it over the open brood chamber so that it covers half of the frame tops and acts as a shield. I use Hoffmans so bees don't get crushed under the comb and it keeps the bees down and reduces the loss of heat from the brood nest during inspection. You can also use a dummy board in the same way.

That is just what I was taught to do by my Grandad.. he would be 112 if he was still alive !

( A Victorian, but only just !)

Yes, I do this, too
not worthy

We have two small (about A4) sheets of black correx with the edges folded over and stapled to cover the bees. The final size of the sheets is such that together they cover the the box. The folded edges rest on the sides of the box to give a bit of space. It appears to work. I suppose the material being really light proof helps... maybe, or maybe its self delusion. But then if it calms us, that might help calm the bees :)

given the concern over disease spreading I will just have to make a set for each hive. cost about 17p (2.4m x 1.2m £4.70), time about 5 minutes

given the concern over disease spreading

I am interested in this concern. Historically (the last 30 years or so) it appears to have become of more concern.

Is it because beekeepers are just more "clued up" about disease or is there more disease about to be concerned about?

Latest posts

Back