making up nuc

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes it is possible , im guessing you want to populate the nuc with bees from several hives
get a small hand sprayer filled with weak sugar syrup,this is sprayed on the bees then shake the frame they are on into the nuc, it will enable you to put them together without any fighting by the time they have cleaned themselves up ,they will all be friends

Better with 3 so if you just have the two use some scented water spray to confuse things.

PH

As PH. But, there are several ways of making nucs from two sources. All rely on the bees being unable to identify each other by different smell. Scented water spray is one but some use air freshener, time, icing sugar. There may be others.

Sugar syrup on bees... Old bees return home and they will start robbing of the nuc.

Never witnessed any figting. I make nucs out of several hives and never a problem when using broodframes with bees or young bees from broodframes. If you combine two big hives, then use some sort of distraction or simply newspaper.

I make a nuc from one hive and then I move it to another yard. Otherwise most of bees return to their old come.

Never tried bees from several hives, and never will try.
If I add bees, I give a frame of emerging bees. Then Queen is not in danger.

Thanks for the advice, will not use the sugar water i was going to use as finman pointed out.. will use the sented water, will lemon grass be ok?

Yes. Also used Channel 5 in the past or cologne or.... whatever is handy.

It's not precision engineering in reality. :)

PH

I do not understand what heck nucs you are doing. You just do them, and move to another yard that bees do not return to old home.

Nuc making is easy, but do not spoil future foraging power.

Back